Clean eating challenge is on. It is going. It’s not that clean, as I had a beer yesterday, but it’s still going. Okay I had two beers. Sue me! Can you really blame me? After all I was invited to something like a festival. But a festival for old people – there was only beer and coke. And beer, my friend in my book is better than coke. Check pubmed.
But you know what I had before that festival, where everyone was pushing their walkers to move forward? This.
Now I might be talking about healthy eating a lot and be doing my best, but I am still a normal person with human taste buds.
So I am not one of the people who can pretend to be obsessed with green smoothies. Sure, they make me feel great and all that, but they cannot replace a real breakfast. Or a real meal. To
To me they’re just a snack, which helps me add more veggies and fruits to my diet.
I almost never wake up hungry. Which is totally weird, because I am hungry every single minute for the rest of the day even though I eat like Elvis during his last years. But when I wake up I need something that will hydrate me first, initiate detoxification and give me some antioxidants. Show me the antioxidants!
Green smoothies are a good way to do that. However, I don’t like smoothies that are very sweet and too thick. It’s just a personal choice of mine. I like to invest my breakfast calories later when I get really hungry in something more satisfying like pancakes, these oatcakes or yogurt with nuts and berries.
For my smoothies, I like to choose ingredients that are very nutrient dense, antioxidant-rich, rich in anti-inflammatory factors and detoxifying, but at the same time low in calories.
And this smoothie is exactly that. I’ve had a variation of it every single day of this clean eating week and it’s a great start of the day. It’s not sweet, but very fresh, like a shot of energy. Now I’m not gonna lie to you, is this the tastiest drink in the world?
No. To me something very close to pina colada is. This is not pina colada. But it makes me feel fresh, clean and energized. So fresh and so clean. And it’s super healthy.
HEALTH AND BEAUTY BENEFITS
This recipe requires just 5 minutes and 4 ingredients, but it has many health and beauty benefits. Let’s take it one ingredient at a time:
- Ginger: I’m not sure if there’s something ginger is not good for. Seriously. It’s anti-inflammatory, antioxidative, antimicrobial, detoxifying, it protects the liver and it tastes really fresh and a little fruity.
- Lemons: by far (just wrote by fart, oops) my most favorite fruits (together with oranges and watermelons). At first, you might think they’re sour, but once you get used to them, you start craving that freshness every single day. They’re loaded with collagen-building vitamin C, detoxifying limonoids, that help the liver eliminate carcinogens and are alkalizing, which enhances detoxification even more.
- Spinach: loaded with carotenoids and chlorophyll, great for detox and for skin health.
- Flax seeds: a great beauty food, high-fiber and rich in omega-3’s – great to get rid of toxins that might be cluttering your intestines. Flax seeds also improve the omega 6/ omega-3 ratio and thus reduce inflammation.
Now, if the taste is not for you, feel free to add a banana or a mango to this – it will make the smoothie sweeter and the texture creamier.
Perfect light green smoothie for glowing skin. You can use your own measurements, but this is what I used for 2-3 smoothies, that were not too thick.
- fresh ginger, chopped or grated – I used a little of that, maybe the size of a walnut
- 1 cup spinach
- 1 lemon
- 1 tbsp ground flax seeds
- 3 cups water
- Wash veggies.
- Place everything in a blender and blend until smooth.