Be it a wheat tortilla, rice papers, gift paper…there’s just something magical about it.
Lettuce wraps are quite new to me and I have never expected them to take over my cooking, my afternoon thoughts, and my whole life so fast. They give me the opportunity to eat more without becoming a fat cow.
These bulgur filled lettuce wraps are simply put: wonderful. They contain asparagus, so you’re in for surprise when you go to pee.
HEALTH AND BEAUTY BENEFITS
Maybe not as impressive as giving your urine a different odor, but they’re also vegan, have anti-inflammatory, antioxidant, detoxifying and anti-cancer properties, are super rich in phytochemicals and are high in these beauty nutrients:
- fiber – cleans toxins
- vitamin C – builds collagen
- iron – to maintain beautiful nails, hair and skin
- Vitamin E – for that antioxidant boost we need to protect the skin from damages
- lycopene – a super-powerful antioxidant
- Vitamin A – for the regeneration of skin cells
On top these bulgur filled lettuce wraps are super delicious, light and make you eat more.
- 100g or around ½ cup bulgur – wash before cooking
- 1 cup chickpeas
- ½ cup corn (canned)
- ½ cup chopped parsley
- ½ cup cilantro
- ½ cup basil leaves
- 3 asparagus stalks
- 3 tbsp dill chopped
- 3 small peppers (pointed)
- ½ cup tomato paste
- 1 tomato
- 1 tbsp chilli peppers
- 6 lettuce leaves
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- In a large skillet stir together bulgur, chickpeas, tomato paste and some water if needed, cover with a lid and cook at medium to medium-high heat – keep an eye and add water if it’s evaporated.
- In the meantime chop asparagus, cilantro, parsley, peppers, dill and peel garlic.
- After around 7 minutes of cooking – stir in corn and smashed garlic. Cook for around 3 minutes. Add all the rest of the vegetables except lettuce, salt, stir in, leave for 2-3 minutes. Turn off heat, add olive oil (this way you preserve the natural antioxidants in olive oil) and leave on the stove for 5 min with lid covered.
- Let cool for 10 minutes or so and begin the wrapping. Place 1-2 tbsp of filling in the center of the lettuce leaf and add some avocado sauce or some salad with cucumbers and peppers if you like on top.
- You could also try this bulgurisotto simply like that – I just like everything wrapped.