But it’s amazing how they just work – they’re delicious, satisfying and mostly (but not always) – healthy. I mean only in Spain have I eaten scrambled eggs with garlic and baby eels as a starter and felt happy about it.
I’m pretty sure all Spanish people and the rest of our beautiful world will appreciate this recipe. It’s this delicious omelet with my spicy lentils.
Tasty, spicy and super practical.
You can take this omelete for lunch at work, pre-make it for dinner, eat cold or warm…doesn’t matter. It will make your day better.
We called this omelet with spicy lentils after my sister: Tortilla Ibelina (Spanish version of her name) because she came up with this omelet.
How did she get the idea for this recipe?
Well she loves mixing eggs with everything. Mostly I’m really scared to taste those kinds of her creations. However a few weeks back, she again scrambled eggs, this time with the spicy turmeric lentils.
“What a catastrophic combination”, I thought. Yet when I tried, without even noticing I ate half of her plate.
It was sooooooo good that a few days after I found myself begging my sister to make her scrambled eggs with the lentils again. She looked at me so full of pride and joy. She knew her time has come. All those years, me making fun of her dishes: OVER.
Who’s laughing now?
And who’s begging?
Luckily there were still lots of those spicy lentils in the fridge and she agreed to make me her scrambled eggs with the lentils. But she had more skills up her sleeve…she made a real Spanish tortilla with lots of vegetables out of it. Show off.
I don’t know how my sister flipped that Tortilla and left it whole. What you see in the pictures is my version of it and I couldn’t flip that omelet and keep it together. But if you can’t flip the omelet as a whole, it works when you just flip parts and press them together while they’re not entirely done on the other side. Or just scramble everything together and don’t bother with flipping and forming the tortilla.
It will be delicious anyway.
Now I know I said don’t fry or you’ll die, but this is a little different. Here we have so many antioxidants from the vegetables that the little frying we do won’t do any damage. Because the omelet is thick the vegetables are also not completely bothered by the frying. Still fry at medium and not at high – this way the tortilla won’t burn and you’ll minimize the formation of toxins.
Other than antioxidant-rich and anti-inflammatory (turmeric), this omelet is high-protein and it’s probably the only omelet that is also high-fiber (thank you, lentils!).
For this recipe you’ll need:
- these spicy turmeric lentils
- chopped/sliced vegetables
- olive oil
- medium-sized non-stick frying pan and an omelet turner
- bowl for whisking
- 5 eggs
- 2/3 cup of turmeric lentils
- 1/3 cup green vegetables like zucchini or broccoli, sliced
- 1/2 red/green bell pepper
- 1 small tomato
- 3 spring onions or 1 onion (not a very large one, preferably medium)
- 2 tbsp olive oil or coconut oil for frying
- Optionally: mint, parsley, cilantro
- Whisk the eggs together in a bowl.
- Chop the vegetables small
- In a non-stick frying pan at medium heat sweat the tomato with the onion and 1 tbsp olive oil for 1-2 minutes. Add the other vegetables and the lentils, stir everything together.
- Then add the beaten eggs and combine with the rest of the ingredients in the pan. When the eggs start looking almost cooked on the top side (after approx. 2 min), flip the tortilla. If you can’t flip the whole thing, flip in parts and then press the parts together using the omelet turner. In 3-4 minutes it’s all done. Turn off heat.
- Take a large serving plate cover the pan with it and flip the omelet on it. Slice in 4 equal parts. Serve with some bread, tomatoes and avocados or just eat like this. Store in an airtight container for up to 3 days.
this recipe is gluten-free, high-fiber and high-protein
You can use any kind of vegetables for this tortilla. Whatever’s in season, during summer I would use zucchini, winter time – broccoli, whatever you have in your fridge. It’s important with juicy fruits and vegetables like tomatoes to sautee them first to not make the omelet too moist. If you don’t want to use the turmeric lentils you can also make the tortilla with normal already cooked lentils, but I like the turmeric lentil tortilla better.
Some of the links in this post might be affiliate links. This means that if you click on the product link and purchase the item, I’ll receive a small commission that helps me cover the costs for this blog.