Here it is: another easy recipe to boost your vegetable intake to the max for breakfast! Alright, I’ll admit it’s only quick if you’ve already roasted a few red peppers, an eggplant and a carrot. If not it will take a little more than 10 minutes.
This is one of the recipes I’ve been in love with my whole life. Like all of it. My grandmother used to make real big batches of something quite similar, so we have it for the rest of the year.
I’m not sure how she did it – I mean not just conserving, but keeping it together to not eat the whole thing while she was making it. I certainly can’t do that.
I like a lot of things in this world, but words can’t describe how much I love the smell and taste of roasted peppers. One day I’ll make a perfume that smells like that, mark my word.
You can use this “spread” also as a dip or in wraps. I just like using it as a spread and it’s perfect as a quick savory vegan breakfast. To me it’s a little like butter, because it melts in your mouth, except it’s made out of vegetables.
If you want to spice it up – there are many things you can try out: like adding garlic, some herbs like parsley or basil, some hot chili powder, nuts or chickpeas if you’d like. There are almost no limits.
I love this simple version the most.
A quick tip: Make sure you leave your eggplant in a glass Tupperware/bowl to cool off, with lid on, for around 30 min. Then remove the fluid that came out of it, to get rid of the bitterness roasted eggplant might add to this awesome vegetable spread. And make sure your vegetables are through – they should be very soft, this makes the dip/spread more fragrant and tasty.
Health and beauty benefits
Believe it or not, there are real health benefits to this vegetable spread. Everything is roasted, so you’d assume there is no benefit to this. But thanks to those flavorful sweet red peppers, there are! They’re very high in that powerful antioxidant lycopene, that is more available when we cook red vegetables. Even more so when we add a little healthy fat to it, and we did – thank you olive oil!
- 1 small-medium eggplant, roasted
- 2-3 roasted red peppers
- 1 roasted carrot
- salt to taste
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Make sure your roasted vegetables are well through (you can do this in a pan with some olive oil, and lid-covered, in the oven or on the grill - anything works). The skins should be ready to be removed, that's easier when vegetables are really done.
- After you roast the vegetables, let them cool off for around 30 min. Keep eggplant in a Tupperware/jar/pot covered, to remove bitter stuff. After that remove the fluid eggplant let out (removes bitterness).
- Peel the skins of peppers and eggplant – takes a little while, I see it as therapeutic and not super annoying. You can also leave the peels on, but the spread is smoother and more delicious if you remove them.
- In your food processor process all roasted vegetables (carrots should be soft and maybe cut in smaller pieces) until almost smooth, might even let it until smooth, add olive oil. Salt to taste.
- For a quick breakfast: spread over a slice of whole grain/gluten-free or paleo bread. You can also top with herbs like parsley/basil for extra health benefits and some nuts/seeds to add more healthy fats and protein.
- The spread keeps in the fridge for around 3 days, might be even a little longer.
Hope you like the spread, let me know how this recipe turns out for you!