Aah potatoes. Those round, yellowish, chubby latino-seducers. Did you know that potatoes, much like many of my favorite celebrities – Shakira, Salma Hayek, Osvaldo Ríos come originally from South America? I guess my childhood was influenced a lot by those Latinos – I mean my summer was mostly potatoes and telenovelas.
These days I have to admit, I’m also not a big potato eater. While some people get all excited, drooly & screamy at the sight or just even the thought of French fries – I feel nothing. To say it in potatoes native language – N.A.D.A. I hear french fries, I feel dead inside.
But when I see these potatoes here – I feel at home.
This is one of the dearest to my heart meals. Because this is one of the very few dishes without meat my mother makes. I’ve always loved to dip a piece of bread in that potato and paprika filling. Since I was probably 2 years old.
A few weeks ago I had the brilliant idea to put the filling into a wrap. So now I do that. Then I go and chop some fresh or roasted vegetables like a psychopath. A veggie psychopath. And then I drown that whole thing in this amazing avocado dill dip. I must admit – these vegan potato wraps might not look like much (I honestly think those pictures are really bad), but they will make your taste buds explode and your heart melt.
This meal combines the comfort of the potato filling with the freshness and the garlicky flavor of the avocado dill sauce. And then there come the veggies that add even more contrast and make everything perfect. The only thing you can be concerned about is making a big mess when you eat those potato wraps. Get napkins.
Health and Beauty Benefits
- Potatoes have almost no fat and as far as energy density they’re similar to legumes. They might not have the most protein from all plants, but let me tell you it’s a high class protein. It’s even better than soy protein. And if you do yourself a favor and eat them without peeling you’d get a special treat – cholesterol lowering fiber.
- On top you get all the health and beautifying benefits from my avocado dill dip – so wrap it and embrace happiness and beauty.
- 7 medium sized potatoes
- 2 onions
- 2-3 tbps olive oil
- 1 cup frozen green peas
- 2-3 tbsp red paprika / optionally hot paprika
- ½ cup water
- salt to taste
- Additions for wraps/tacos:
- avocado-dill dip
- fresh vegetables (arugula, cucumber)
- Wash potatoes, peel onions and chop everything in small cubes.
- Add all ingredients in a large deep pan, cover the lid and cook at medium-high heat for about 15-20 minutes. Stir from time to time and add water little by little if you need to.
- Make sure the sauce is not too watery – add more paprika or tomato paste if that happens. Taste and add some salt. And that’s it. Now you know why my mother likes to make this. It’s extremely easy, quick and delicious.
- When you’re ready – you can either eat the potatoes like this with some bread, or just take it to the next level, over the top, like I did - put those potatoes in a wrap with that avocado dip and some vegetables.