Last updated on September 24th, 2022 at 12:51 pm
Lentils are packed with fiber, protein and a bunch of other very much essential nutrients that we often choose to ignore. Today I’m sharing 15 healthy and easy lentil recipes to celebrate this wonderful plant.
We’ve all probably tried lentil curry and lentil soup at least once during our lifetime, but you can also use lentils for salads, wraps and in one-pan dinner recipes. In this collection you’ll discover many tasty ways to cook lentils, so tasty that you might even forget about meat or fish.
So, if you want some more fiber, protein and deliciousness in your life – try these simple lentil recipes. Lentils can help you lose weight, improve your digestion and prevent cardiovascular disease.
They’re probably one of my favorite foods. Sure, like everyone else, I get some “flatulence” when I eat too many of them, but I’m not even trying to hide it. I’m proud of everything lentils make me do. These tiny round health bombs taste amazing, are super cheap, nutrient-dense and low in calories. And they don’t need much to be awesome. Add some onion, garlic and some spices and they’re ready to make you fall in love with their simplicity.
Reasons To Love Lentils
- they can help you lose weight, because they’re satiating (high in protein and fiber) and low in calories
- keep your blood sugar stable
- provide a great amount of folate, iron, fiber and protein
- lower cholesterol
- prevent constipation
- easy to prepare
- cook quicker than beans, chickpeas and other legumes
- are very versatile
- taste amazing
15 Easy and Healthy Lentil Recipes
1. Homemade Lentil Soup Recipe
This lentil soup is the one I grew up with. It seems too simple and humble, but somehow when you start eating it, you realize it’s everything you need in food. Tasty, filling, healthy, the recipe is here.
2. Evolved Lentil Wraps
Now, these wraps…I mean they’re one of my most popular recipes. And there’s a reason for it. It’s because they’re amazing. Made with lentils, fresh herbs and vegetables + a garlic sauce, these lentil wraps are inspired by the Mediterranean diet and taste just perfect. The recipe is here.
3. Bulgur, Red Lentil & Butternut Squash Skillet
This is a one pan, super easy, lentil and bulgur “risotto” recipe that is flavorful and tasty. For me – a perfect dinner. It’s also high-fiber, high-protein and rich in iron. You can find the delicious recipe here.
4. Simple One-Pot Lentils
This lentil recipe is so simple, I didn’t even know what to name it. You almost don’t need to do anything. Just put the lentils with the other ingredients to cook in a pot and in 20 minutes you’ve got yourself a healthy, comforting dinner. Recipe is here.
5. Easy Lentil Tacos
If you’ve already cooked up some lentils, you can spice them up and make these easy lentil tacos in about 10 minutes. Use flour tortillas of choice for more filling tacos or lettuce leaves for a lighter meal. Recipe here.
6. Mini Pitas With Spicy Lentils
These vegan mini pitas with spicy turmeric lentils and vegan cream cheese are just one of the many recipes I made with my turmeric lentils. Very simple, delicious and easy. You can find this tasty lentil recipe here.
7. Broccoli and Red Lentil Detox Soup
This is a spicy, flavorful and easy detox soup with red lentils and broccoli. It takes about 20 minutes to make and just one pot and a hand blender. The recipe is here.
8. Lentil Curry Recipe
This easy coconut lentil curry recipe is one of my favorite healthy recipes ever! It’s delicious and cooks in one pan in a very short time. Recipe here.
9. Six Ingredient Lentil Recipe
These 6-ingredients easy lentils are perfect for wraps, on a toast and can be eaten with some salad and avocado! You can find this easy and tasty lentil recipe here.
10. Lentil Wraps 3.0.
Another version of healthy lentil wraps! This time the lentils are cooked differently, but come again with some salad and garlicky sauce! So very tasty and quite easy! Recipe here.
11. Red Lentil, Spinach and Bulgur Soup
Warming and satisfying, this bulgur and red lentil soup recipe is plant-based and perfect for cold weather. The recipe is here.
12. Healthy Lentil Bowls Recipe
This is a delicious, healthy recipe for lentils served with tomato cucumber salad and a garlicky tahini sauce. It’s so fresh, so wonderful! You can find the recipe here.
13. Lentil Bolognese Sauce
For a vegan, tofu-free bolognese, try this version with lentils and mushrooms. Sounds weird, but it’s very good. Recipe here.
14. Vegan Potato Lentil Salad
A healthy plant-based sandwich salad with a lot of flavor. The sauce is made with something like a lentil hummus. This salad is great on toast, in a wrap and even just like this. Recipe is here.
15. Curry Lentil Soup Recipe
This lentil soup is incredible! Red lentils and rice are cooked in a coconut curry broth – spicy, sweet and full of flavor. Recipe here.
I hope you enjoy these simple lentil recipes, let me know if you try one – I’d love to have your feedback!
More Easy Healthy Recipes:
- 7-Day Vegan Challenge And Meal Plan
- 19 Low Carb Vegan Recipes
- 11 Vegan Cold Lunches To Try
- 15 No Chicken Meal Prep Recipes
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 cup butternut squash, chopped (or other vegetable)
- 1/2 cup red lentils (soaked)
- 1/2 cup bulgur, coarse
- 1/2 cup mint leaves, washed
- 1/3 cup tomato sauce or 2 small tomatoes, chopped
- 1/2 tsp cumin (dry, ground)
- 1/2 tsp coriander (dry, ground)
- 1/2 tsp turmeric, ground
- 1/2 - 1 tbsp hot red pepper flakes (or paprika)
- 1 tbsp black pepper
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- salt to taste
- In a large pan at medium-high, heat the chopped onion, minced garlic and butternut squash with 1 tbps olive oil for about 2 min, stirring.
- Add cumin, coriander, turmeric, red pepper flakes, black pepper, stir.
- Add tomatoes or tomato sauce, stir. Then add lentils and bulgur and 1/2 to 1 tsp salt (you might need to add more salt later).
- Add 2/3 cup hot water, stir well together. Cover with lid and let cook at medium for 7-8 min. Add the mint and cook a little more - about 7-8 more minutes, until red lentils and bulgur are ready.
- Take off heat and sprinkle some olive oil (about 1 tbsp). Stir again.
- Garnish with fresh herbs like parsley or more mint.
The original recipe is here.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 216Total Fat: 10gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 8gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 411mgCarbohydrates: 29gFiber: 8gSugar: 7gProtein: 7g
This post was originally published on Oct 12th 2017 and updated in September 2022.