Last updated on February 8th, 2019 at 06:49 am
Make this one-pot lentil recipe for an easy weeknight dinner – so simple, but amazingly tasty. This recipe is vegan and gluten-free.
It’s no secret I love lentils. How can I not? Who doesn’t like, nay love lentils? Somebody who doesn’t like tasty food? Someone who’s lacking taste buds? A monster? Who is it?
I have never met anyone who doesn’t like lentils.
Here I cooked lentils with fresh tomatoes and they became the sweetest and most delicious thing ever. It takes approximately 20 minutes to make this lentil recipe and it’s healthy, very simple and reminds me of home. Not because my mom or my grandma used to make it (they didn’t), but because it’s very comforting.
Something else I really love about this recipe is that I just put everything together in the pot, bring it to boil, reduce it and then just let it cook. Easy, I don’t have to do anything. Soak, soak, chop chop, bring together, boil, let cook and after 20 min eat. I love being a lazy cook like that.
You can use red or green lentils for this, but I found the red lentils a little better. They’re cook faster, making them a little softer and allowing that tomato to cook enough, but not to overcook.
To make them even a slightly little bit better, you can top the lentils with some garlicky yogurt sauce or with a little bit of the avocado dill sauce. It takes it to the next level (whatever that is).
Health and Beauty Benefits
Did you know that lentils count as vegetables? Well I didn’t. But they do! And that’s great, suddenly 8 servings of fruits and vegetables a day don’t seem so unattainable anymore.
Other than that lentils are a very nutritious food – they provide us with a great amount of fiber, iron, zinc and protein. Something that not so many other foods can offer. They keep us full, prevent weight gain and cardiovascular diseases.
This vegan one-pot lentil recipe is an easy weeknight dinner and it's simple, but amazingly tasty.
- 1 cup tomatoes, chopped (I used small, very red ripe tomatoes)
- 2 cups lentils, preferably red (or others that cook faster), soak for 3h or more
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/3 tsp salt
- pasley to garnish
- avocado sauce or yogurt garlic sauce
- Rinse, drain lentils and put into a small/medium cooking pot.
- Add chopped tomatoes, the tomato paste and garlic cloves. Add salt, cover with water (don’t add too much water, or it would be soupy, just enough water to cover) and bring to boil.
- Reduce heat to medium and cook until tender (around 15 min).
- Check from time to time to add water if needed (all lentils are different). If not thick enough add some more tomato paste.
- When done, add the 1 tbsp olive oil.
- When the lentils are ready serve in bowls (around 4 bowls) and top with parsley and some avocado sauce or yogurt garlic sauce.