Last updated on August 5th, 2018 at 09:44 am
These avocado-egg sandwiches are quick, easy, healthy and saved my life last week!
Well, I don’t know, because this has never happened to me. I never forget to eat. If there’s something I believe in in this world – it’s eating. But somehow I forgot to eat lunch one time last week. S.H.O.C.K.I.N.G. Yeah, I was disappointed in myself too. It’s literally the 6th time in my life I’ve missed a meal and definitely the first time that this is my fault.
But to answer the question what do you do when you realize at 6 pm you forgot to eat for lunch – you make sandwiches.
And I made these avocado egg sandwiches.
Not so disappointed after all.
These sandwiches are easy, light and satisfying and make you happy even if you’ve missed lunch. Or dinner. Or breakfast. They’re perfect for any time of the day. I used an avocado spread that I left chunky, but you can also blend it smooth.
I put the egg in between 2 pieces of bread. Actually this was more for the picture, but usually I would eat a piece of bread with avocado spread and egg on top, without a second piece of bread on top. It was delicious both ways, anyway. It’s just a sandwich, let’s not get crazy.
Health and beauty benefits
I’m not gonna lie they’re the healthiest thing you can eat. I mean these avocado-egg sandwiches are no green juice. But they’re quite healthy as well. Much better option than pizza, which would’ve been my other choice. They’re high-protein, believe it or not high-fiber and high in vitamin C, thanks to that pepper I sneaked into the avocado spread. And they’re a great way to still get some vegetables into your body, without even eating a salad.
If you’d like to make this recipe a little healthier you can boil the eggs instead of frying them. This way you reduce the amount of harmful molecules that form during frying. I just did not have the patience to boil eggs that evening. Hope these sandwiches serve you as well!
- 2 eggs
- 2 pieces of whole grain bread (I used one with chia and other seeds)
- some olive oil (1 tsp) for frying
- Optional to make healthier: boil the eggs
- ½ avocado, smashed
- ½ red pepper, chopped small
- 3 small black olives pitted, chopped small
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- some basil (2-3 leaves), chopped
- optional: 1 spring onion, chopped
- In a non-stick pan fry eggs with some olive oil on both sides (took me about 2 min first side and then just a minute other)
- For the spread: in a small bowl smash avocado and combine with lemon juice using a fork, so that it gets smoother. Add chopped red pepper, chopped olives, chopped basil and chopped onion (optional) and combine together. If that’s too chunky for you – you can as I mentioned, blend it.
- Toast a piece of whole grain bread. Spread avocado mixture on top and after that 1 egg. Then eat and don’t forget the next one!