Last updated on February 8th, 2019 at 06:55 am
Lentil.s. One of my favorite things in the world – healthy, high-fiber, super cheap and incredibly delicious.
I still have to find a person who doesn’t like lentils. Once you eat lentils, you will want to eat them all the time.
Welcome to my world.
These lentils are spicy, flavorful, easy and will make you a very happy person.
Here’s what you’ll do:
1. You’ll soak those lovely lentils for a few hours, probably overnight, because who can think of that in the morning? (MEEEEEEE, I always think of lentils). But hey even if you forget to soak the lentils, who cares? Some lentils don’t even need soaking.
Make sure you look for stones and wash them afterwards. I have to admit I never actually search them through for stones or crystals or diamonds and last time I did I found a few real big rocks in there. Some were pretty so I kept them and made a necklace.
2. Okay next, you take a deep pan with a lid put it on a (functioning) stove and then you add your lentils in. You pour in some water, some salt and cook the lentils until they’re tender like the love of Elvis Presley (great, now I’ll have to sing this all day).
3. Then at the last moment, BAM! you add your spices. Surprise, surprise lentils! Meet your new best friends – turmeric, dried chili peppers and his majesty garlic. And then you’re done.
Let the lentils cool off and store them in an airtight container in the fridge for a few days (3-4). I am pretty sure they should also freeze well.
Once you let the lentils cool off they’ll seem a little dry on their own. That’s why you need to combine them with fresh vegetables, some olive oil, this dip or this spicy vegan & paleo cream cheese like I did in this mini pita from outer space.
Health and Beauty Benefits
These spicy lentils will get rid of toxins in your body, help you maintain a healthy weight and reduce chronic inflammation. On top they’ll boost your vegetable intake are high-fiber, high-protein and antioxidant-rich.
What you’ll need for this Recipe
- A deep nonstick pan with a lid and a (functioning) stove.
- Green or brown lentils. Red or yellow would get too mushy for this.
- Spices: Turmeric, Garlic, Cumin, Chilli Peppers and a few other ingredients
I have to be very honest with you here: some types of brown/green lentils cook faster and some take really long. And the worst thing is, I don’t know which. And I don’t know why!!! It makes me insane.
One time when I was visiting my mom I wanted to make lentils and instead I made a big drama because I was hungry and the lentils she had there, cooked a million times slower than the ones I usually use.
Mine take about 15-20 minutes to cook. Red and yellow lentils need even less time.
And that’s it! Ready in about 20 minutes and soooo goood! If you make these lentils (which in my humble opinion, everyone on Earth should do), go ahead and try this very easy salad recipe I used them in.
Hope you like them and make sure to try the mini pitas or they will be sad.