Last updated on March 9th, 2020 at 12:09 pm
Need a quick vegan lunch or dinner idea? How about this chickpea recipe? It’s a very Mediterranean mashed chickpea bruschetta that takes 5 minutes to make!
Mashed Chickpea Bruschetta
Imagine a crispy bruschetta topped with garlicky Mediterranean mashed chickpeas.
Well, this is exactly it.
It’s loaded with garlic, chickpeas and….drumroll, well you see it: basil.
Can’t resist that combination. If you’re craving something quick, easy and super delicious make these. Why? Because you’ll regret it if you don’t.
When you’re old and people ask you “Do you regret something?”, you’ll show a hologram of these and say in a shaky voice “I regret not making these”.
Alright. Enough with that boring fake story.
Make them, alright?
Perfect for dinner, snack or lunch…
These mini bruschettas are perfect for a healthy (party) snack, quick healthy lunch and I sometimes even have them for dinner.
All (around) 10 of them.
Health (And Beauty) Benefits
All ingredients in this recipe have health benefits that also benefit your skin and your hair:
- chickpeas are high in protein and fiber and help your digestion
- basil, garlic & onion boost your immune system, fight cancer and protect your skin from infections that don’t look pretty
- lycopene delivers carotenoids that protect your skin from free radical damage
- walnuts fight inflammation and might make you smarter
- lemon brings collagen-building vitamin C to fight off wrinkles
- olive oil brings you vitamin E, which combined with vitamin C from lemon is a perfect protection against oxidative stress – thus prevents skin aging
When these foods are brought together they complement each other not just taste-wise, but also health-wise. What one of the ingredients might lack, the other one brings to the table. This makes the combination even more beneficial than each one of these healthy foods on their own.
Mashed Chickpea Bruschetta
A quick and easy vegan recipe? You need this mashed chickpea bruschetta - it's an easy chickpea recipe that is ready in about 5 minutes, with easy to find healthy ingredients and it's perfect for a quick vegan lunch, dinner or snack!
For the mashed chickpeas:
- 1 can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 small tomato
- 6-7 walnut halves
- 10 basil leaves
- 2 spring onions
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- ½ lemon squeezed
- 8 small black olives
- a handful arugula
- 1 whole-grain baguette
- OR lettuce leaves
- Clean tomatoes (maybe cut it in ½), arugula, spring onions and basil.
- Juice ½ lemon and peel garlic.
- In a food processor add chickpeas, arugula, onions, garlic, basil, tomato, walnuts, lemon juice, olives, olive oil. Did I forget something?
- Then blend at low speed for a little, so that the mixture is not smooth, but still chunky. This will be different for different food processors – make sure to not let it get smooth – it won’t be that awesome. But I imagine it will as well be pretty good.
- I didn’t need to add salt to this, because the chickpeas and the olives were already enough.
- Then slice a whole grain baguette on the diagonal into slices that are not too thick. Then toast them – I used my toaster for that – it’s faster than in the oven.
- When the bread slices are ready – spread generously from the mashed chickpeas on top. If you don’t eat bread, it’s even easier than that - just wrap the mashed chickpeas into a lettuce.
- You can also add some other vegetable on top of that if you’d like – perhaps some lettuce or some avocado.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 382Total Fat: 10gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 7gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 697mgCarbohydrates: 60gFiber: 7gSugar: 8gProtein: 15g
This sounds amazing! How long do you figure it would keep in the fridge?
Thanks a lot! It’s very delicious and I haven’t had it for more than one day around, but it should keep at least 3 days in the fridge 🙂
This sounds really yummy, and i have everything except the arugula, is there something else i could substitute?
You could use any other greens you like here
I wiped the baguette pieces with a fresh piece of garlice before baking and added a bit more basil to the mix. Everyone loved it!