Last updated on July 30th, 2018 at 08:19 am
Time for a very Mediterranean mashed chickpea bruschetta.
How I love this new invention of mine, you can’t imagine.
Aaand, why am I talking like Yoda, again? Just ignore.
Imagine a crispy bruschetta topped with garlicky Mediterranean mashed chickpeas.
Well this is exactly it.
It’s loaded with garlic, chickpeas and….drumroll, well you see it: basil.
Can’t resist that combination.
If you’re craving something quick, easy and super delicious make these.
Because you’ll regret it if you don’t.
When you’re old and people ask you “Do you regret something?”, you’ll show a hologram of these and say in a shaky voice “I regret not making these”.
Alright. Enough with that boring fake story.
Make them, alright?
These are perfect as a healthy party snack, or as a quick healthy lunch (I sometimes even have them for dinner).
All (around) 10 of them.
HEALTH AND BEAUTY BENEFITS
Q: So what’s the big beauty and health secret of this recipe? Is it garlic? Is it chickpeas? Is it basil? Is it tomato? Is it walnuts?
What is it?
A: It’s all that combined.
All ingredients have health benefits that also benefit your skin and your hair:
- chickpeas clean out your intestines and thus eliminate toxins
- basil, garlic & onion boost your immune system, fight cancer and protect your skin from infections that don’t look pretty
- lycopene delivers carotenoids that protect your skin from free radical damage
- walnuts fight inflammation and make you smart – it’s never bad to be smart and beautiful
- lemon brings collagen-building vitamin C to fight off wrinkles
- olive oil brings you vitamin E, which combined with vitamin C from lemon is a perfect protection against oxidative stress – thus prevents skin aging
So it’s a beauty food recipe that will blow your mind, make you smarter and prettier.
What happens is that when these foods are brought together they complement each other not just taste-wise, but also health-wise.
So what one of the ingredients might lack, the other one brings to the table. This makes the combination even more beneficial than each one of these healthy foods on their own.
You might feel a little naughty because you’re eating bread with those mashed chickpeas from heaven, but a little bread here and there never hurt anyone.
Except if you have some intolerance – then wrap those chickpeas in lettuce or something else green.
Otherwise any whole-grain bread is fine.
Heavenly bruschetta with mashed chickpeas - delicious, healthy and super easy and quick!
- 1 can chickpeas
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 small tomato
- 6-7 walnut halves
- 10 basil leaves
- 2 spring onions
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- ½ lemon squeezed
- 8 small black olives
- a handful arugula
- 1 whole grain baguette
- OR lettuce leaves
- Clean tomatoes (maybe cut it in ½), arugula, spring onions and basil.
- Juice ½ lemon and peel garlic.
- In a food processor add chickpeas, arugula, onions, garlic, basil, tomato, walnuts, lemon juice, olives, olive oil. Did I forget something?
- Then blend at low speed for a little, so that the mixture is not smooth, but still chunky. This will be different for different food processors – make sure to not let it get smooth – it won’t be that awesome. But I imagine it will as well be pretty good.
- I didn’t need to add salt to this, because the chickpeas and the olives were already enough.
- Then slice a whole grain baguette on the diagonal into slices that are not too thick. Then toast them – I used my toaster for that – it’s faster than in the oven.
- When the bread slices are ready – spread generously from the mashed chickpeas on top. If you don’t eat bread, it’s even easier than that - just wrap the mashed chickpeas into a lettuce.
- You can also add some other vegetable on top of that if you’d like – perhaps some lettuce or some avocado.