Let me know if I’m overdoing it with the bean recipes lately…If you don’t like beans you probably really hate me right now or if you’re not a negative person – I’m simply nothing to you. But if you do like beans…Well, you’re in luck because this black bean and quinoa bowl is really good. It’s like a burrito bowl, but not really. We’ve got some black beans, some quinoa, some cucumber basil guacamole, some herby cream cheese sauce and some vegetables on the side. It’s all healthy, vegan, gluten-free and you can meal prep it on Sunday or Monday or whichever day you want. This recipe is also great if you’re doing the 7-day vegan challenge!
Now, you know how I feel about meal prep. I’ll pretend I’m one of those positive people who don’t know what the word hate means…This leaves me with: Meal prep means nothing to me. Specifically, the old food part about it makes me deeply sad.
However, I discovered I can tolerate food that’s been in the fridge for about 3 days, not a second longer. I simply need to be able to change it up a bit.
And this bowl, well it allowed me to do just that! I ate the leftovers for 3 days and then I made variations of it.
Here’s How You Make It
Step 1. If you’re lucky enough to have grown up in a family that uses knives to open cans and believes can openers are for the rich folks, you know the first step. You take a can of black beans and run a knife through the top to open it. If you’re rich and spoiled, use a can opener or buy one of those cans where you can simply pull the top part out.
Step 2. Rinse and drain those beans and, I’ve mentioned this in another post – DO NOT DRINK THE LIQUID! I felt I needed to repeat that.
Step 3. Chop whatever vegetable you have in the house. Broccoli, carrots, tomatoes, onions, cucumbers, radishes, cilantro
Step 4. Go back in time and cook quinoa yesterday, so you have it ready.
Step 5. Say a prayer the avocado you bought 2 days ago is good now, open it and if it is – make this guacamole.
Step 6. Also, make this herby “cream cheese” sauce, and no there’s no cream cheese in it, because it’s vegan. I get asked about this A LOT!
Step 7. Go back in time again, before you started with the guacamole and start cooking the beans. You can do step 5 and 6 in the meantime to be more efficient, professional, impressive and beautiful.
Step 8. Cook the beans in a non-stick pan with all the vegetables you want.
Step 9. Arrange the bowl as if you’re going to share with others, but don’t actually share, because you won’t have food tomorrow.
Step 10. Eat.
And that is it. It’s sooooooo easy. It’s like a walk in the park. A walk in the park, when there’s a storm, trees are falling down and you’re running so you don’t get hit by lightning.
No really, it’s not super quick, but this bowl won’t take more than 30-40 minutes. Because there are so many parts to prepare, you’ll need to multitask, but it’s actually worth losing 10 points of your IQ. If you’re not in a super hurry and want to try something healthy, but kinda different – make this.
I hope you enjoy this bowl if you end up making it, I really appreciate your feedback, so don’t hesitate to leave a comment and subscribe below if you’d like to get healthy recipes in your inbox (kinda) regularly.
Black Bean and Quinoa Bowl – an easy healthy dinner you can meal prep for the week. It’s delicious, vegan, gluten-free and full of flavor!
- 1 1/2 cups black beans
- 1 tomato, chopped
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 3 broccoli florets, chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 tsp coriander
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp basil, dry
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- For the bowl:
- 1 1/2 cup chopped lettuce
- 1 cucumber, peeled and chopped
- 3 radishes, chopped
- 1 cup quinoa, cooked
- sesame seeds
- guacamole with cucumbers
- herby “cream cheese” sauce
- jalapeno (optional)
- Wash and chop lettuce, radish and cucumber.
- Prepare the beans: Rinse and drain the black beans. Chop tomatoes, onion, broccoli. In a non-stick pan at medium-high heat, sautee the tomato and onion with olive oil for 2 minutes.
- Stir in the black beans and broccoli.
- Add coriander, cumin and basil. Cover with a lid and cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Add in the garlic and cook for 1-2 more minutes.
- In the meantime, prepare the guacamole with cucumbers and the
- herby “cream cheese” sauce.
- Arrange the bowls: Start with lettuce. Top with cucumbers, radish, cilantro, cooked quinoa, black beans, jalapeno and add the guacamole with cucumbers and the
- herby “cream cheese” sauce in the middle.
- Serve immediately.
- If you’re meal prepping to eat this the next days, I find it best to keep individual parts in individual containers / compartments – will help keep them fresh longer.