Last updated on March 18th, 2023 at 06:10 pm
Or less…alright, one of these easy chickpea recipes actually takes longer. But overall, they’re all super versatile, fast and jus amazing. On the list, we’ve got dinner recipes with chickpeas that you can make in one pan, fresh chickpea salads, a comforting chickpea soup and even a vegan chickpea dessert. Plus so much more!
The point is, you’re going to love these healthy and quick recipes for chickpeas, so if you’ve got some canned garbanzo beans in your pantry, get them out and try some of these healthy meals.
Healthy And Easy Chickpea Recipes
Didn’t want to point it out, but there’s a competition on this blog: lentils vs. chickpeas. And it turns out, chickpeas win. I’ve been making so many healthy recipes with garbanzo beans, it’s insane. Probably because I always have a few cans of chickpeas around. Finish one, buy three. That’s the squirrel’s motto.
Chickpeas are just so easy to use, so filling in Mediterranean recipes, spicy dishes, soups, salads…really anywhere.
Today I wanted to celebrate the chickpeas win, by creating a little collection of some of my favorite hearty recipes with canned chickpeas.
I usually use canned chickpeas when I cook, because convenience, but you can totally use dried chickpeas that you’ve soaked and cooked yourself for all of these recipes below.
So if you’ve ever wondered what to do with cooked or canned chickpeas, from now on, this is the place you come to when you need ideas.
Easy Chickpea Recipes For Dinner
We’re starting off the list of delicious chickpea recipes with some tasty dinner ideas that you can make in no time with minimal cleanup. These plant-based meals might be quick, but they’re going to win you over with their wonderful flavors!
1. 15-Minute Mediterranean Chickpea Skillet. This healthy vegan dinner is so quick and so good! Chop up some bell pepper, zucchini, add garlic and tomato to your canned chickpeas and you’re halfway there.
2. Vegan Chickpea Quesadillas. Oh, this old thing? It’s only one of my favorite quick meals to make with chickpeas. Absolutely love it with my garlicky “guacamole” too.
3. 20-Minute Chickpea Soup Recipe. A warming vegan soup that you can make with very few ingredients in 20 minutes on a cold day? Yes, I want it.
4. One-Pan Chickpeas with Mixed Vegetables. Broccoli, asparagus, tomatoes, garlic all made it into this tasty and quick chickpea skillet recipe.
5. One-Pan Mediterranean Chickpeas. Canned chickpeas, feta cheese, olives and garlic are just some of the ingredients in this healthy vegetarian dinner.
6. 15-Minute Spicy Chickpea Skillet. Chickpeas, green beans and spinach all come together to make this quick high-protein vegan recipe. It’s spicy, it’s flavorful and it’s so yummy.
7. Easy Spinach Chickpea Cakes. I love these patties! They’re a great vegetarian dinner when served with some salad, hummus and a garlicky sauce!
Vegan Wrap Recipes With Chickpeas
There’s a special place in my heart for wraps! What can I say, I just love my food wrapped in some flat bread, sue me. Therefore in this collection of chickpea recipes I’m dedicating an entire section for vegan wraps made with garbanzo beans. They’re quick and easy to make, tasty and super filling!
8. Mediterranean Chickpea Wraps. If making falafel for dinner is too much work for you as well, make these vegan Mediterranean chickpea wraps! They’re filled with hummus, chickpeas, a fresh salad and are so flavorful and really easy and fast!
9. Curried Chickpea Lettuce Wraps. These curried chickpea wraps are light, yet full of flavor. Pair with some mashed avocado or garlicky tahini sauce for a quick and simple plant-based dinner.
10. Lazy Chickpea Wraps. If you’ve already made the 15-minite spicy chickpea skillet recipe, why not wrap it in a tortilla with some avocado sauce and extra vegetables? It will take it over the top!
11. Easy Vegan Mashed Avocado Chickpea Wraps. Next on our list of simple chickpea recipes are these vegan chickpea wraps. They’re SO delicious! Like, seriously delicious and you have to try them.
Vegan Power Bowl Recipes With Chickpeas
One of my absolute favorite ways to use canned chickpeas is to make scrumptious power bowls like the ones below. And, being a huge fan of the Mediterranean diet, these chickpea recipes are usually Mediterranean-inspired and perfect for the warmer months when tomatoes and cucumbers are in season.
However, you can definitely make them any season, by switching up the salad ingredients. So, let’s get to them!
12. 5-Minute Mediterranean Bowl. The star of the show…this Mediterranean bowl is slowly getting pretty full of itself, everybody loves it and wants to take it home…Cannot blame you, it’s pretty amazing with that hummus, tzatziki and salad.
13. No Cook Healthy Lunch Bowls. This is a recipe you can whip up with chickpeas, artichokes, vegetables and hummus for lunch when you don’t know what to eat and you’ll be surprised at how good it is!
14. Spicy Mediterranean Chickpea Lunch Bowls. I’d say, this is one of my favorite lunches ever. 10/10. With avocado, hummus, herbed chickpeas, a fresh salad. This toasted chickpea recipe is spicy, healthy, flavorful, so quick, so easy and filling.
15. Roasted Vegetable Healthy Lunch Bowls. Adding some roasted vegetables can seriously elevate a meal. Pair with fresh vegetables, herbs and sprinkle garlicky cashew sauce all over to make these flavorful chickpea bowls.
Healthy Chickpea Salad Recipes
Now we’re coming to one of my favorite quick ways to use canned garbanzo beans – in chickpea salads. Not only are the chickpea recipes in this section super fast and simple, but they’re also incredibly healthy! So if you’re a fan of salads, here are some ideas you’ll want to make again and again and again.
16. Tomato Basil Chickpea Salad. This salad is perfect for summer when you have tons of sweet and juicy tomatoes. Basil, onions, toasted sesame seeds and even a carrot also make it into this chickpea salad recipe. It’s a surprising combination that works perfectly.
17. Avocado Feta and Chickpea Salad. Fresh, filling, savory and just delicious! This salad recipe with chickpeas, avocado and feta needs no dressing and is so refreshing for lunch!
18. Chickpea Sandwich Salad. This vegan sandwich salad with chickpeas has a surprising ingredient, which is a peach, sorry for the spoiler, but it tastes so good in there.
19. Healthy Tomato, Spinach Chickpea Salad. This is such a healthy, vibrant and tasty tomato chickpea salad! It’s a great side dish, but also a super easy light lunch idea for summer.
20. Tomato Chickpea Salad, The Third. Yep, I made another one with chickpeas and tomatoes. Basil, cucumber, bell pepper and some scallions all make it into this healthy Mediterranean summer recipe.
21. Mashed Chickpea Salad. You will love this mashed chickpea salad on some toasted bread, or the lighter version: in a lettuce wrap.
22. Tomato Garlic Chickpea Salad…and arugula, fresh mint, onions and peppers…this salad is filling, fresh and delicious.
Super Quick Chickpea Recipes
Next in our collection of simple delicious chickpea recipes, I reserved a special place for some meals you can make in 5-10 minutes. Because sometimes, that’s all the time we’ve got for cooking.
23. Mashed Chickpea Bruschetta.
These mashed chickpeas are great on some toasted bread! And you don’t actually need to mash them, just put everything into a food processor, pulse and it’s ready. The recipe is great for a snack, lunch or even dinner if you add some salad on the side. Recipe here.
24. 5-Minute Chickpeas. You can make these chickpeas in no time with some tomatoes or tomato paste, garlic, olive oil and some herbs. Serve on some toasted bread for a quick and easy meal.
25. Easy Hummus Recipe. Ah, yes, you can also make hummus using garbanzo beans, I forgot.
26. 10-Minute Chickpea Scramble Lettuce Wraps. If you thought tofu and eggs were the only two things you can scramble, you need to try this chickpea recipe! It’s better.
Chickpea Dessert Recipes
Lastly, make room for dessert. Yes, you read that right, there are plenty of tasty chickpea recipes that you can have for dessert. This is just one of them.
27. Healthy Peanut Butter Chickpea Blondies that you need to try! You are going to love these peanut butter blondies and won’t even know there are chickpeas in the recipe. They’re fudgy and very peanut-buttery.
Add Chickpeas To Your Daily Diet
As you can see adding chickpeas to your diet can be really easy and super delicious! Garbanzo beans are a high-fiber high-protein food and that means that they’re great to keep you full for longer periods of time.
So if you’re looking to add more fiber or protein to your diet, especially if you’re following a vegetarian diet – chickpeas are a great choice. They also have a low glycemic index, are rich in vitamins, minerals and have a moderate amount of calories.
More Vegetarian Recipes
I hope you found some new healthy and easy chickpea recipes that you’d like to try when you have a can of garbanzo beans. Now, if you’re have other ingredients in your kitchen as well and need even more vegetarian recipes, here are some great options:
Chickpea Recipes: Spinach Chickpea Cakes
You'll love these easy chickpea recipes! You'll find dinner recipes with chickpeas, healthy salads, a chickpea soup - so many ideas to use cooked or canned chickpeas!
- 2 cups canned chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- Bunch basil
- Bunch parsley
- 1 cup spinach
- 1 egg
- 1 carrot, grated
- ½ onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/3 tsp salt or to taste
- 1 tbsp paprika
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp black pepper
- oil for frying
- Mash chickpeas in a bowl and chop all other vegetables and small. Add all ingredients to the bowl, except the oil and mix until combined.
- Form patties and fry in a non-stick pan on both sides at medium-high until golden-brown.
- Take out and serve with a salad and hummus or this garlicky avocado sauce.
For more details, find the original recipe here.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 65Total Fat: 3gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 16mgSodium: 151mgCarbohydrates: 8gFiber: 3gSugar: 2gProtein: 3g
This article was originally published in September 2021 and last updated in March 2023.
Leave a Reply