Last updated on June 29th, 2022 at 03:04 pm
If you’re looking for some easy soup recipes to warm you up after a cold day…this small-batch 20-minute chickpea soup recipe is the answer. This chickpea recipe is easy, healthy, vegan, gluten-free and dairy-free.
20-Minute Chickpea Soup Recipe
To be honest with you, I haven’t left the house in a while (what else is new?), so I don’t need any warming up right now. I’m doing pretty good, wearing my 10 layers of clothing that resemble Santa’s gift sack. But in grey and no presents inside.
If I did need some warming, I’d definitely be making this chickpea soup right now. It’s cozy and it’s delicious and I can make it in less than 30 minutes. Why do I always say I don’t want to eat the recipes I made right now…Is that called self-sabotage? Like it’s great for my past and future self, but present self? No thanks, I’ll have coffee with a dash of acid reflux. Maybe it’s also because it’s 9 am right now. Only the universe and Neptune know.
In case you want to join future me in making this tasty plant-based soup, I’m sharing the recipe right now.
- canned chickpeas
- red pepper
- olive oil
- lemon juice
How To Make Chickpea Soup In 20 Minutes
Chop the onion, grate tomato and the red pepper. Then freshen up your fingers by mincing some garlic.
Add all to a heated cooking pot with olive oil, mint and cumin and saute for 1-2 minutes.
Go back in time and rinse and drain the chickpeas. Then, add them in and saute for 2 more minutes. Add water, a good amount of salt and cover with a lid. Cook at medium for around 8‐10 minutes. You can also use stock instead of the salty water.
Add in the spinach, taste and add salt or water if needed.
Blend ½ the soup using a hand blender and stir. Cook for 2 more minutes and remove from the stove.
Serve immediately and enjoy with some avocado, bread and jalapeno slices.
Easy Chickpea Soup Recipe
An easy chickpea soup recipe with spices and herbs to warm you up after a cold day! This chickpea recipe is easy, healthy, vegan, gluten-free and dairy-free.
- 2 cans of chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- ½ onion
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 small tomato, grated or 2 tsp tomato juice
- ⅓ red pepper, grated
- 2 tsp mint or a handful fresh mint
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 1/2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 cup spinach
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- Chop onion, grate tomato and red pepper, mince garlic.
- Add these vegetables to a heated cooking pot with olive oil, mint, and cumin and saute for 1-2 minutes.
- Add in the rinsed and drained chickpeas and saute for 2 more minutes.
- Add 2 cups of water or stock, a good amount of salt and cover with a lid. Cook at medium for around 8‐10 minutes.
- Add in the spinach, taste and add water or stock if needed.
- Add 1 more garlic clove and a tsp lemon juice. Blend ½ the soup using a hand blender and stir in. Cook for 2 more minutes and remove from the stove.
- Serve immediately and enjoy with some avocado, bread and jalapeno slices.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 298Total Fat: 10gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 8gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 168mgCarbohydrates: 42gFiber: 12gSugar: 10gProtein: 13g