Last updated on November 19th, 2018 at 07:15 pm
These healthy chocolate “chip” pancakes are one of my go-to breakfast recipes and I’m sure you’ll love them too! I make them using oats instead of flour and instead of chocolate chips I just chopped some dark chocolate! Very easy, quick and delicious!
It’s been a long time since I’ve last written here. I feel embarrassed and like the most horrible person in the world.
But enough with the guilt trips. Let’s get to the excuses.
In my defence a lot of things have happened:
1. I’m now 32 (happy birthday to me, yay and crying a little);
2. I was on vacation for a few days (hard to recover from that – it takes me WEEKS);
3. I was changing the whole look of the site in order to make it easier for all of us to find the posts. This made me so tired that I couldn’t even type;
4. I finally came up with an awesome tagline for this blog, it is: Feel good, not guilty. Really love it. And it took me like what? Only two years to come up with this? I’m smelling a secret genius.
Now let’s get to the good stuff. The pancake stuff.
See, I can’t believe I haven’t shared this recipe yet. I’ve been making these pancakes for years! We’re talking probably 2-3 times a week, whenever I have 15 minutes in the morning and chocolate at home. So yes, 2-3 times a week.
Once you try them you’ll be going back again and again and again.
It’s the kind of recipe that isn’t overwhelmingly sweet, but you can’t stop eating.
I think I just described pancakes.
Why are these chocolate chip pancakes healthy?
Here are the changes I made that make these pancakes healthy:
- I made these chocolate chip pancakes without flour, but ground oats, using eggs or chia eggs for my vegan friends, some honey/maple syrup/agave or coconut nectar instead of sugar, nuts and very very dark chocolate.
- Oh and some coconut oil for the cooking instead of butter.
- Instead of milk I used water <- it works!
- Instead of whipped cream and high-sugar chocolate sauce, I topped my pancakes with nut butter and berries or other fruits – like banana if I don’t add the chocolate chips (<- I hate banana with chocolate).
Now these pancakes are high-fiber, high-protein and rich in essential nutrients like iron, zinc, healthy fats plus some antioxidants.
These healthy chocolate chip pancakes are my go to breakfast - easy, delcious, nutritious and pretty quick to make! You don't need any flour, refined sugar or milk for this recipe!
- 1 cup oats
- 1 egg
- 2 Tbsp honey
- 2-3 Tbsp dark chocolate (broken down) or chocolate chips
- 1/3 tsp vanilla
- 1/3 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp coconut oil + more for cooking
- 1/3 cup water/milk of choce
- optional: chopped nuts - walnuts, almonds
- In a mixing bowl mix egg, honey and coconut oil (melted).
- Grind oats in your food processor or in a nut grinder. Add the ground oats, vanilla and baking powder to the liquid ingredients in the bowl. Add the water and mix everything well.
- Once the dough is ready add chocolate chips or chopped dark chocolate, some nuts and mix again.
- Oil the surface of a small non-stick pan with some coconut.
- At low-medium heat pour in the pancake mixture, forming small pancakes. Sometimes I'd just make one huge pancake and then cut it in pieces - whichever you feel is easier for you. and spread evenly in the pan.
- Let cook for a minute or two and when bubbles appear on top, and the edges change color flip the pancake.
- When ready on both sides - transfer to a plate or bowl. Repeat for the entire mixture.
- Add your favorite toppings and enjoy!