Last updated on November 17th, 2020 at 12:20 pm
These healthy chocolate chip pancakes will become one of your new favorite breakfast ideas! I personally love them and I make them using oats instead of flour and instead of chocolate chips I just chop some dark chocolate! Very easy, quick and delicious healthy pancake recipe!
It’s been a long time since I’ve last written here. I feel embarrassed and like the most horrible person in the world.
But enough with the guilt trips. Let’s get to the excuses.
In my defense a lot of things have happened:
1. I’m now 32 (happy birthday to me, yay and crying a little);
2. I was on vacation for a few days (hard to recover from that – it takes me WEEKS);
3. I was changing the whole look of the site in order to make it easier for all of us to find the posts. This made me so tired that I couldn’t even type;
4. I finally came up with an awesome tagline for this blog, it is: Feel good, not guilty. Really love it. And it took me like what? Only two years to come up with this? I’m smelling a secret genius.
Now let’s get to the good stuff. The pancake stuff.
See, I can’t believe I haven’t shared this recipe yet. I’ve been making these pancakes for years! We’re talking probably 2-3 times a week, whenever I have 15 minutes in the morning and chocolate at home. So yes, 2-3 times a week.
Once you try them you’ll be going back again and again and again.
It’s the kind of recipe that isn’t overwhelmingly sweet, but you can’t stop eating.
I think I just described pancakes.
These chocolate chip pancakes are healthy
Here are the changes I made that make these pancakes healthy:
- I made these chocolate chip pancakes without flour, but ground oats, using eggs or chia eggs for my vegan friends, some honey/maple syrup/agave or coconut nectar instead of sugar, nuts and very very dark chocolate.
- Oh and some coconut oil for the cooking instead of butter.
- Instead of milk I used water <- it works!
- Instead of whipped cream and high-sugar chocolate sauce, I topped my pancakes with nut butter and berries or other fruits – like banana if I don’t add the chocolate chips (<- I hate banana with chocolate).
Now these pancakes are high-fiber, high-protein and rich in essential nutrients like iron, zinc, healthy fats plus some antioxidants.
Healthy Chocolate Chip Pancakes
These healthy chocolate chip pancakes will become one of your new favorite breakfast ideas! They're made with oats, no flour, make sure to use gluten-free oats if you can't tolerate gluten.
- 2/3 cup oats
- 1 egg
- 2 Tbsp honey
- 2 Tbsp dark chocolate, chopped or chocolate chips
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp coconut oil + more for cooking
- 1/3 cup water
- walnuts or other nuts
- In a mixing bowl mix egg, honey and coconut oil (melted).
- Grind oats in your food processor or in a nut grinder. Add the ground oats, vanilla and baking powder to the liquid ingredients in the bowl. Add the water and mix everything well.
- Once the batter is ready, add chocolate chips or chopped dark chocolate, some nuts (optional) and mix again.
- Oil the surface of a small non-stick pan with some coconut oil.
- At medium heat pour in the pancake mixture, forming small pancakes. Sometimes I'd just make one huge pancake and then cut it in pieces - whichever you feel is easier for you. and spread evenly in the pan.
- Let cook for a minute or two and when bubbles appear on top, and the edges change color flip the pancake.
- To take things a liiiitle over the top, sprinkle a few pieces of dark chocolate on top of the done side of the pancakes while it's still cooking. The chocolate will melt and it's really good.
- When pancakes ready on both sides - transfer to a plate. Repeat for the entire mixture.
- Add your favorite toppings and enjoy!
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 404Total Fat: 17gSaturated Fat: 9gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 7gCholesterol: 94mgSodium: 360mgCarbohydrates: 58gFiber: 5gSugar: 36gProtein: 8g
Baking powder or baking soda? You mentioned both.
I added cinnamon chips to have the batter and dark chocolate chips to the other half of the batter. 2 different flavors! Both very tasty.