If you’ve got chocolate cravings and need to eat clean – these healthy chocolate energy balls with dates and coconut are the perfect snack for you! Vegan, paleo and gluten-free – you can can meal prep these on Sunday and keep them in the fridge for 3 days or freeze them if you’d like to have them longer.
When I worked in an office, and actually saw other people during the day, one of my biggest problems was snacking ALL the time at my desk. Yes, PROBLEM.
We had this freaking snack box. I would always go there and get not one, but two chocolate bars from it.
Especially after 2pm.
OMG. Give me all the coffee and snickers.
That time of the day was invented for a nap. I admired Spain so much for this invention and then I found out they actually don’t have that siesta anymore? What is wrong with the world? Come on! Bring those naps back, we need them!
So, I did the snacking thing for the loooooongest time, every day.
And now you’re probably rolling your eyes, because you know where this boring story is going.
Yes, I rolled my sleeves and decided to take control of my fate. I said “Mars Incorporated, you’re not getting my tooth. Or money anymore.”
Thus, many energy balls were born in my small kitchen. Some of them really sucked, but a lot of them were really good. I especially love one recipe I make with peanut butter, cereal and dark chocolate….OOOOOOMG. But they’re very addictive. If you want to check out the recipe it’s here – not very pretty, but my favorite thing in the whole world.
Next to these addictive creatures, chocolate energy balls were my favorite. Especially with dates and coconut.
I would always make them ahead, but also eat half of them in the process. I’d put 3 balls in a small container and take that to work. I did not give any money to that snack box anymore and I didn’t drink coffee – Problem solved.
Now I want to share my recipe with the world.
These chocolate energy balls with dates and coconut are the perfect healthy snack when you have a sweet tooth! You can meal prep these power balls on Sunday and keep them your fridge or freezer to have whenever you get a chocolate craving during the week! They're vegan, paleo and gluten-free!
- 1/3 cup dates, soaked 30 min
- 1/3 cup almonds, soaked overnight
- 1/4 cup fresh fruit
- 2 Tbsp cacao powder
- 2 Tbsp coconut flakes
- 1/2 Tbsp coconut oil
- 1 Tbsp Almond Butter
- 1 tsp flax seeds
- 5 walnut halves, roughly chopped (optionally)
- coconut flakes
- Using a food processor or a hand blender blend plums, dates, almond butter, coconut oil. Add the almonds and blend until smooth or chunky - if that's a texture you'd enjoy more.
- Add the cacao, coconut flakes and ground flax - the mixture should thicken and become sticky. If you want some additional crunch - add roughly chopped walnuts to the mix.
- Form the energy balls. The mixture will be sticky, but fill a bowl with water to wet your hands - makes it easier to roll the balls.
- Coat with coconut flakes and refrigerate for an hour.
I hope you like these chocolate energy bites! If you have any questions or suggestions, please let me know in the comments!