Last updated on November 16th, 2020 at 03:35 pm
You might have noticed lately, I am writing a lot about weight loss.
How to lose weight that, how to lose weight this…workouts to do. Well the thing is: Yes, I have gained some weight and this is not the time of my life.
I am neither dirty dancing, nor dancing at all. I am just crying inside.
Well, not really. But I don’t feel good.
This has nothing to do with being vain or wanting to have abs, so that people like me.
To be honest with you, I don’t care what others think about the way I look. I care about the way I think about myself and about the way I feel and look.
So just for myself I am trying to lose some weight right now. 20 pounds or 10 kg to be exact. This is how much I have gained in one year. Now to some that might be nothing, to me it’s 20% of my weight.
So it’s a lot. I am not a growing baby or a pigeon after all. If you’re wondering about the pigeon “metaphor” – last year we had 2 pigeon babies on the balcony and they grew really fast. Some might find it disgusting that I’m raising pigeons, but to me those were the sweetest birds ever and never touched them with my bare hands.
Now back to losing weight. So now that I’m trying to lose weight, I am also cutting back on carbs, because I found out that I have high blood glucose. Even though I eat clean and prefer whole grains to refined grains. I’m thinking it’s genetics – diabetes runs in my family.
And thus we come to the healthiest, most delicious salmon lettuce wraps ever.
I did not even realize this until this very moment, but this recipe is actually paleo. Huh. Who knew.
It’s also gluten-free, grain-free but it’s not vegan. If you’re vegan you can try chickpeas in this – cooking time will be a little less and I’m sure it will taste amazing as well. I have never tried cooking with tofu, since I don’t like it a lot, but if you know how to prepare it – I can imagine it will be a good fit as well.
I’m not gonna lie to you: this recipe is very similar to the recipe I did last summer (You know what I did last summer and that’s scaring me <- can you tell I grew up in the 90’s). But this recipe is still kinda different and I feel I enjoyed it even more than the last one.
You basically just put some salmon in a pan with some greens, cook that and then wrap it in a lettuce with some garlicky paleo cream cheese. That’s it.
You’ll need some asparagus, some other veggies, some salmon and some lettuce.
Health and Beauty Benefits
This recipe is awesome, because it’s rich in antioxidants and it is anti-inflammatory and low GI. So great for your health, skin and even for weight loss.
High in protein, omega-3’s, detoxifying nutrients from the asparagus, Selenium (which if you’re not eating some Brazil nuts, you might have a hard time getting) and a ton of other stuff.
You can eat this meal 1-2/week, because as we hear from everywhere fish is now basically more toxic than cyanide, plus it’s not sustainable to eat fish every single day. However a study from 2006 found that the benefits of fish consumption outweigh the risks. So don’t worry about having fish once-twice a week, just don’t eat fish every day.
- 350g salmon / 12oz salmon
- a small bunch cilantro
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 tbsp thinly chopped ginger
- 7 green asparagus spears
- 2 carrots
- 3 scallions
- 1/2 cup zucchini cubes
- some flax seeds
- some black pepper
- a head of lettuce
- vegan garlicky cream cheese
- Chop carrots, scallions, zucchini, cilantro and mince garlic and fresh ginger. Remove stems from asparagus (the hard part) and slice the bunch of asparagus spears in 3 parts. Cube salmon.
- In a large nonstick pan cook salmon at medium-high, lid covered. Add some water, 1-2 tbsp if needed - this is just so that the salmon doesn't stick, I did not need any water, but this could be different. After 1-2 min add asparagus (at this step make sure, there's no water in the pan!) and cover again for 2 min.
- Then add ginger and garlic, stir.
- After that carrots, scallions and zucchini. Stir without the lid for 2 more minutes (or until salmon is done). In the end add cilantro and turn off heat.
- Assemble the lettuce wraps. Bottom - spread some vegan garlicky cream cheese, then the salmon filling you just made, top with some cucumbers and tomatoes if you want. Sprinkle some flax seeds, black pepper and some lemon juice.
- Then eat 🙂
I hope you enjoy this light and delicious recipe and if you do make it: let me know how it goes, ask me questions, hashtag your pictures in Instagram with #beautybites, so I can find your pics and be happy again and what else? Well find a way and enjoy spring!
You might also enjoy
- How to eat to reduce inflammation in the body
- 3 diet changes to reduce inflammation
- 5 anti-inflammatory foods to eat daily
- 10 foods to beat diabetes