Last updated on December 1st, 2019 at 04:29 pm
This healthy bean soup is ready in 20 minutes! It will warm your body and soul. An easy vegan soup that is high-fiber and gluten-free. And super delicious.
20-Minute Vegan Bean Soup
So I took the pictures for this soup at 3:46 pm, which is the time the sun goes down currently. Ha. So yes, these pics are shot in the dark and I added some extra (a lot) of exposure there.
I came home freezing after 2-3 hours outside and feeling like I’m getting a cold any minute. But instead of getting the pills they recommend on the TV (do I sound like I live in the 50’s?), I decided to make a soup and lots of tea and then get really warm. This has worked for me, for years now. Whenever you’re feeling like you’ll get a cold – get warm. That’s all I can say.
I rolled up my frozen sleeves and made this soup in around 20 minutes, using 2 cups of canned white beans, because I don’t possess the ability to cook dry beans. Always ends bad when I do that. I’m stuck there stirring the pot for 2 hours and then farty pants. Plus, imagine if I actually cooked for 2 hours, this recipe right here – wouldn’t exist. And I’d probably have a cold right now.
Thankfully, this soup was born and it’s warming, quick, so comforting and I had the whole thing that same evening. I think it made 4 bowls. Don’t judge me. In my defense, I probably burned lots of calories freezing.
As for additions – I decided to top my soup with some avocado chunks and of course ate white bread, because I just had to that day. If you don’t feel white bread – don’t eat it. Moral of the highly exciting story: I got really warm and felt a lot better the next day. So yeah – if you’re getting a cold, stop it with this soup!
- 2 cups white beans, canned
- 2 1/2 cups vegetable stock or water
- 2 Tbsp tomato puree
- 1 tsp chili flakes (optional)
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1 onion, medium-sized
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 carrot (optional)
- 1 Tbsp mint or 1/4 cup fresh mint leaves
- 1 Tbsp paprika (not hot)
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- Chop onions and carrot if using, mince garlic. Rinse and drain the canned beans (it took me one large can to make this whole soup).
- In a smaller cooking pot, at medium-high heat sauté the onion, garlic in olive oil. After 2 minutes, add the spices (chili flakes, cumin, paprika). Stir until onions are covered with the spices. Add beans, tomato puree, stock or water and mint. If you prefer carrots softer - add now, if not, add at the end or don't add at all.
- Cover and cook at medium heat until the soup starts boiling. Reduce the heat a little. Have a taste and add salt & pepper if needed. Take the lid off and let the cook for 10 minutes until it becomes thicker.
- Enjoy like this, or serve with some avocado, bread - whatever you like!
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 327Total Fat: 12gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 9gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 917mgCarbohydrates: 46gFiber: 12gSugar: 6gProtein: 12g
I hope you enjoy this bean soup if you try it! I really loved it, and it’s something I make and eat quite often, when I have cans of white beans at home.
This soup recipe was originally published in December 2018. The post was updated in November 2019.
You Might Also Like:
- 30-Minute Healthy Soups Perfect For Fall And Winter
- Healthy Broccoli and Lentil Soup Recipe
- Red Lentil And Bulgur Soup