Make this healthy bean soup in 20 minutes today – it will warm your body and soul! This easy healthy soup is vegan and gluten-free. And super delicious.
You’ll have to excuse this soup for the pictures, it’s very sorry. I’m not the best food photographer, I know, I’m not delusional – I see my own pictures. I don’t have the best camera and I don’t like arranging anything. But even I know some daylight can do wonders, when you want to take pictures of your food. Not sunlight – daylight.
So I took the pictures for this soup at 3:46 pm, which is the time the sun goes down currently. Ha. So yes, these pics are shot in the dark and I added some extra (a lot) of exposure there.
I came home freezing after 2-3 hours outside and feeling like I’m getting a cold any minute. But instead of getting the pills they recommend on the TV (do I sound like I live in the 50’s?), I decided to make a soup and lots of tea and then get really warm. This has worked for me, for years now. Whenever you’re feeling like you’ll get a cold – get warm. That’s all I can say.
I rolled up my frozen sleeves and made this soup in around 20 minutes, using 2 cups of canned white beans, because I don’t possess the ability to cook dry beans. Always ends bad when I do that. I’m stuck there stirring the pot for 2 hours and then farty pants. Plus, imagine if I actually cooked for 2 hours, this recipe right here – wouldn’t exist. And I’d probably have a cold right now.
Thankfully, this soup was born and it’s warming, quick, so comforting and I had the whole thing that same evening. I think it made 4 bowls. Don’t judge me. In my defence, I probably burned lots of calories freezing.
As for additions – I decided to top my soup with some avocado chunks and of course ate white bread, because I just had to that day. If you don’t feel white bread – don’t eat it. Moral of the highly exciting story: I got really warm and felt a lot better the next day. So yeah – if you’re getting a cold, stop it with this soup!
This is a quick and easy recipe for a smaller batch of a delicious, comforting bean soup! This healthy soup is vegan, high-fiber and gluten-free. Perfect for lunch or dinner on a cold day!
- 2 cups white beans, canned
- 3 cups vegetable stock / water
- 3 Tbsp tomato puree
- 1 tsp chili flakes (optional)
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1 onion, medium-sized
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 carrot (optional)
- 1 Tbsp mint
- 1 Tbsp paprika (not hot)
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- Chop onions and carrot if using, mince garlic. Rinse and drain the canned beans (it took me one large can to make this whole soup).
- In a smaller cooking pot, at medium-high heat sauté the onion, garlic in olive oil. After 2 minutes, add the spices (chili flakes, cumin, paprika). Stir until onions are covered with the spices. Add beans, tomato puree, stock and mint. If you prefer carrots softer - add now, if not, add at the end or don't add at all.
- Cover and cook at medium heat until the soup starts boiling. Have a taste and add salt & pepper if needed. You can choose to leave the lid on, but I took it off the soup and let it cook like this for 10 minutes until it became thicker.
- Enjoy like this, or serve with some avocado, bread - whatever you like!
I hope you enjoy this bean soup if you try it! I really loved it, and it’s something I make and eat quite often, when I have cans of white beans at home.