Last updated on February 9th, 2022 at 06:51 pm
Go ahead and try these easy and healthy chicken tostadas. They’re ready in about 20 minutes and make such a quick and healthy dinner idea that you can meal prep, it’s perfect for weeknights!
Also, there’s nothing more appealing than someone eating tostadas. You know what I mean, choose smaller-sized tortillas and a black shirt whenever you’re making and eating these.
Ingredients For The Healthy Chicken Tostadas
So, this is my version of a chicken tostada or tostada in general. It doesn’t look like a model, I did not make it authentic, but it is delicious. And it’s gluten-free and cheese-free. You can use the chicken “filling” for wraps or tacos or bowls – wherever you desire!
So here’s what you’ll need to make these tasty tostadas:
Chicken. Buy skinless, boneless chicken thighs. Chicken breast will work too if you decide that’s a better option for you.
Vegetables. Fresh tomatoes or tomato paste, bell peppers, scallions and olives are the vegetables I used for these.
Fresh herbs and greens. Use whatever you have at home – parsley, basil or cilantro are all great and I added some arugula. Spinach will work as well.
Chickpeas. This one is optional in case you need to use up a can of chickpeas. You can also use black beans or any other type of beans you have.
Spices. Choose any spices you like – this recipe calls for crushed red pepper, coriander and garlic.
Tortillas. I made my own tortillas from gluten-free oats following a recipe here, that’s why they have different shapes. You can use any type of tortillas you like and feel good about. I love the ones with oats, it just takes about a trillion years to make them.
For the topping, I made a simple tomato cucumber salad, but any type of fresh vegetable will work. Arugula, thinly chopped cucumbers, jalapeno or avocados will be great on top.
How To Prepare Chicken For The Next Few Days
To make these tostadas, you will need to have some shredded chicken. If you don’t already have it, simply boil the chicken thighs or breast in enough water with some salt for about 10-12 minutes. Then take it out of the water and shred it using two forks as demonstrated here. When you prepare your chicken this simple way and store it in the fridge, you can make different recipes throughout the week. Simply season the way you want – your meals are going to be ready in no time.
How To Make Healthy Chicken Tostadas
Wash tomatoes, bell pepper and greens. Peel and mince the garlic and prepare the spices to have ready to go. While you’re cooking the chicken, toast some small tortillas on the stove or in the oven for about 3-4 minutes or until desired crispiness.
Add the chopped tomato to a pan at medium-high, add in the rinsed and drained chickpeas, and start mashing these using a cooking spatula, cooking for about 1-2 minutes. If you won’t use the chickpeas and don’t have fresh tomatoes, start with the next step.
Add in the shredded chicken, garlic and olive oil (here’s where you add tomato paste and a little bit of water if you’re not using the fresh tomatoes). Then stir in the peppers, olives and scallions. Do this for 1-2 minutes.
The last thing you want to stir in are the fresh herbs and greens, in my case – basil, parsley and arugula.
Serve on a tostada and top with some fresh vegetables like avocado, arugula or cucumbers.
You can actually meal prep all of the ingredients for these tostadas and get them on the table in about 10 minutes. For example, I made the chicken as described and then kept it in one airtight container in the fridge, the tortillas in a freezer bag in the freezer. When it’s time for dinner, I’d toast the tortillas in the oven or on the stove for a few minutes and reheat the chicken filling in a skillet with a little bit of water and olive oil. You can also use a microwave for this. Top the toasted tortilla with the chicken and avocado and fresh herbs or arugula and enjoy!
I hope you enjoy this simple chicken tostada recipe!
More Healthy And Easy Chicken Dinners
- Egg Roll in A Bowl With Chicken
- 30-Minute Cauliflower Chicken Soup
- Easy Low Carb Shredded Chicken Bowls
- 280g/ 10oz shredded chicken
- 2 tomatoes, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup arugula
- 3 tbsp chopped parsley
- 3 tbsp chopped basil
- 3 scallions, thinly chopped
- 1 bell pepper, chopped
- 1/2 cup canned chickpeas (optional)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 3 tbsp olives, chopped and pitted
- 1 1/2 tsp crushed red pepper
- 1 tsp coriander
- 1 tsp cumin
- Boil and shred the chicken using two forks. While the chcken is boiling, toast the tortillas either in the oven or in a nonstick pan on the stove for 3-4 minutes until desired crispiness.
- Wash tomatoes, bell pepper, scallions, and greens, then chop them. Peel and mince the garlic and prepare the spices to have ready to go.
- Add the chopped tomatoes to a pan at medium-high, add in the rinsed and drained chickpeas, and start mashing these using a cooking spatula, cooking for about 1-2 minutes. If you won’t use the chickpeas and don’t have fresh tomatoes, start with the next step.
- Add in the shredded chicken, garlic, the crushed red pepper, coriander, cumin and olive oil (here’s where you add tomato paste and a little bit of water if you’re not using the fresh tomatoes). In 1-2 minutes, stir in the peppers, olives and scallions. Keep stirring for another 1-2 minutes.
- Last thing to do is stir in are the fresh herbs and greens (basil, parsley and arugula). Turn the heat off.
- Top the toasted tortillas with this filling and fresh vegetables of choice like mashed avocado, tomato cucumber salad, more scallions, fresh basil or arugula.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 514Total Fat: 21gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 15gCholesterol: 106mgSodium: 438mgCarbohydrates: 38gFiber: 8gSugar: 7gProtein: 44g