My favorite things in this whole world come together in this grilled veggie pita:
- Grilled veggies (duh!)
- Pita (double duh!)
- Hummus (now we’re talking)
- Tahini sauce (oh)
- Tomatoes and cucumbers (alright then)
- How about some greens like, I don’t know – parsley? (Ok, fine…)
This is so so so delicious. I devoured it in like a nanosecond.
In Defence Of White Bread
I know people expect me to not eat white bread, but this one’s as white as my legs are right now. Yes, it’s summer and I’ve been avoiding the sun like the plague. This year I went to the beach once after 10am and I got sunburnt.
My wrinkles are still thanking me. No more sun for this little vampire who eats garlic for breakfast.
So, white bread.
I know it’s also not popular right now, but I crave white bread sometimes. Like every day. And when I got these pitas they were hot. As experience has thought me, you never say no to hot white bread, because it’s delicious.
How To Make The Grilled Vegetable Pitas
I actually used roasted vegetables. I know, I mislead you and now you hate me forever.
But this pita also works with grilled vegetables. In fact here are 3 ways you can prep the vegetables for this pita:
- On the grill – cut lengthwise, add some olive oil and put on the grill for 2-3 min on each side.
- In the oven – cut, add olive oil, put some parchment paper on the baking tray, then the veggies and bake until done (it took me around 10-15 min).
- In a pan with some olive oil and garlic for 10 minutes, close with a lid, then uncover and let get slightly brown. Delicious! This is definitely my favorite way to make “grilled vegetables”. Quick and super easy, don’t get too dry which I love!
Here I used zucchini, eggplant and bell peppers, because I LOVE these vegetables on the grill/roasted/in a pan. If you do have other vegetables you’d like to use – do so.
I think even cauliflower and broccoli can find their way into a pita these days. They’re famous. That cauliflower is so sneaky, it found its way into everything, so I’m not going to worry about that little sucker.
So, once you’ve got your veggies grilled, roasted or “panned” you want to start thinking about more. So you make some hummus. This is the one I LOVE.
But then that’s not enough. IT’S NEVER ENOUGH! Didn’t expect to scream, but life happens when you’re making other plans, doesn’t it? DOESN’T IT???
So you mix 1-2 Tbsp of tahini with minced garlic, juice of 1/2 lemon, 1-2 Tbsp water and you’ve got yourself a tahini sauce.
Then you remember: You know what? I need more fresh vegetables in my life. And all you have in your fridge is an old tomato and a cucumber. So you make the best out of it – you slice them.
Then you’re already so hungry and just about to eat, but somehow you notice, “Wait a second is this a dying bunch of parsley? And you chop some parsley too.
The time has come.
Stuff all that in that hot pita you were so lucky to find and enjoy your life, because it’s too short to think about white bread all the time and not eat some of it. With grilled vegetables in it. When the opportunity’s there, take it.
Now, here’s the printable, less blah blah blah recipe.
You'll love these grilled vegetable pitas with hummus and tahini sauce! They're easy, super tasty and are vegan!
- 1 eggplant, grilled
- 1 zucchini, grilled
- 1-2 bell peppers, grilled
- 1 tomato, sliced
- 1 cucumber, sliced
- 1 clove garlic
- 2 Tbsp tahini / sunflower seed butter works as well
- 1/2 lemon, juiced
- 1 Tbsp water
- Pitas or tortillas
- Tahini sauce mix tahini with lemon juice - it will get thicker. Add garlic and water, a little bit at a time. Stop when you get a creamy texture that isn’t too liquid and the color turns bright!
- Fill the pita/ tortilla with 2 Tbsp hummus, spread evenly. Add eggplant, zucchini, bell peppers 1-2 slices of tomatoes, cucumbers.
- Add more hummus, some chopped parsley and tahini sauce! Enjoy!
What would also go really well here is some tzatziki (with a paleo vegan version) You can use grilled or roasted vegetables for this. What I also like to make are vegetables in the pan with olive oil and some garlic - super good and never get dry - so if you don’t feel like grilling/roasting - this option is super quick and rewarding.
I hope you enjoy this grilled vegetable pita, if you have any questions let me know!
If you enjoyed this, subscribe below for awesome healthy recipes, healthy lifestyle posts and workouts!
TRY NEXT: Evolved Lentil Wraps