Last updated on October 18th, 2018 at 09:02 am
You won’t need long to make this healthy soup with butternut squash and broccoli – It’s light, warming, but fresh thanks to the lemon grass, coconut cream and the little bit of cinnamon!
My dad’s reaction to a soup that involved butternut squash a few years ago:
“In a soup? It will be sweet, I don’t want it!”
He didn’t even try. Now, that soup was a little different than the recipe I’m sharing today, but I remember it was really good. I don’t recall what I put in exactly, but I remember it was HEAVEN and it involved some dill.
This one’s similar, except for the dill.
some lime leaves (or lemon grass).
And to annoy my dad a little more I put in some cinnamon as well. He actually liked this soup, even though it’s not what he’d usually go for. It’s a very light one with bright flavors and I’m sure it’ll warm your body and soul!
Hope you enjoy it, here’s the recipe!
FIY: The soup is vegan, gluten-free, paleo, anti-inflammatory and did I mention light and delicious!
I had to…
One last note: you can use vegetable stock, some salt or even curry paste to make the flavors pop. If you don’t add any salt (or ingredients that contain salt), the soup will be bland – in this case, add salt.
This butternut squash soup with broccoli is a light healthy dinner recipe that will warm your body and soul!
- 2 cups butternut squash, chopped
- 1 cup broccoli, chopped
- 2-3 tbsp coconut cream
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 1 onion, chopped
- 4 lime leaves
- 1/2 tsp coconut oil
- salt to taste
- bunch cilantro, chopped
- In a cooking pot, at medium-high heat sauté onion for 30s-1minute, add cinnamon and ginger. Then butternut squash, broccoli and add water/stock to cover, almost all the way. Add salt if you're using just water. Cook for 5 minutes.
- Add coconut cream, lime leaves and cook everything together until the butternut squash is ready (took me around 5 more minutes).
- Turn off heat and blend using a hand blender or your blender (you might want to wait until the soup cools off if you're using the blender). You can blend all the way through if you like a smoother texture or not - in case you like a chunkier texture.
- Garnish with chopped cilantro and enjoy! Optionally you can add some red pepper flakes.