Last updated on January 23rd, 2019 at 06:49 pm
This strawberry smoothie bowl without banana tastes like cheesecake, has no sugar and is healthy, vegan, dairy-free, gluten-free and paleo. All you need is 5 simple ingredients and a hand blender or a high-speed blender.
Since I made this healthy strawberry smoothie bowl 2 weeks ago, I just can’t stop thinking of it and making all kinds of versions of it.
It’s kinda like soft-serve ice cream, but more refreshing. And not the banana type where you freeze bananas, put them in a blender and pretend they don’t smell like bananas (<- 1. why would you make a recipe with banana if you don’t want it to smell like a banana? 2. it’s a lie 3. I did that last year and almost threw up).
There are 3 main ingredients in this smoothie bowl:
- frozen strawberries (raspberries might work as well)
- raw cashews
- an orange.
Additionally I suggest you top with some flaxseeds and a walnut to make the smoothie bowl pretty, oh so pretty, and more anti-inflammatory, oh so anti-inflammatory.
Health and Beauty Benefits
Strawberries are a great source of antioxidants (1) and contain a good mixture of polyphenols that are shown to prevent a number of diseases like Alzheimer’s and cancer and to improve cardiovascular health (2). They also have anti-inflammatory properties (3).
Cashews can decrease total and LDL (the bad one) cholesterol. (4)
And orange? Well this delicious fruit (one of my personal favorites) is rich in vitamin C and contains a great mixture of phytochemicals – among others carotenoids. Carotenoids are powerful antioxidants and in terms of beauty are important to keep your skin healthy as they can protect against UV damage (5) and can in fact improve the color of your skin (6) (<- if you’re as pale as me after winter, you know how awesome this fact is).
Now let’s get to the recipe.
This strawberry smoothie bowl without banana is easy, healthy and tastes like cheesecake! This recipe is pale, vegan, gluten-free and rich in antioxidants.
- 1cup strawberries, frozen, unsweetened
- 1 orange
- 1/3 cup cashews, preferably soaked overnight
- 1 strawberry
- 1 tbsp flax seeds
- Soak the cashews overnight or for 2-3 hours. This makes them softer and helps blend better. Blend the cashews with the juice of one orange until very smooth – using a hand blender or a high-speed blender.
- Add the frozen berries in and blend until smooth – the consistency should resemble soft serve ice cream, thick and creamy.
- Serve in a bowl if you’re eating this as a meal or into 2 small dessert jars if you want to serve this as a dessert with your lunch, dinner or even as a snack.
- Top with 1 tbps flax seeds, chopped walnut (both of these important to keep the omega-6/omega-3 ratio optimal) and strawberry slices.
Energy: 220kcal, 11% Total Carbohydrate 21.1g, 7% | Dietary Fiber 4.0g, 16% | Total Fat 14.2g, 22% | Protein 6.3g, 13% Vitamin C 52.4mg, 87% | Magnesium 108mg, 27% | Potassium 409mg, 12% Iron 2.6mg, 15% | Zinc 1.8mg, 12% | Selenium 6.9mcg, 10% omega 6/omega 3 ratio = 2.1:1
Hope you enjoy this recipe as much as I do, don’t hesitate to ask if you have any questions and if you make it, let me know how it goes! If you enjoyed this recipe, make sure to subscribe below, so I can send you updates & more healthy recipes!