Last updated on December 30th, 2018 at 12:29 pm
I love wraps – of any kind.
Call them burritos, tacos, macos, falafels, palafels, gyros, fyros…whatever.
If my breakfast, lunch or dinner is wrapped in something, even if that something is a lettuce leaf, I will eat it and my heart will be melting with joy.
That’s why I made these.
My heart did need some serious melting after that rough winter. I know, it’s officially not over yet, but I see the glass as half-full and the winter as done.
Even though I made some soups like this detox soup and this delicious vegan lentil, spinach and bulgur soup, I have been eating very very very poorly these last few winter months. I just didn’t feel like cooking, eating vegetables, making smoothies or exercising. I was in hibernation.
Those new years resolutions, that got everyone else going? They didn’t work for me. And it shows. I’m proud (nooot) to say that I am at my heaviest I have ever been right now. And since I wasn’t working out, but just stuffing my face with anything I wanted, I know this newly acquired weight is not from muscle, mkay?
Don’t you just hate when people tell you that? It is good old fat. And it’s everywhere.
Well since three weeks I’ve started working out again, cooking and making healthier meals like this one. And things are slowly changing. Now some people may judge me for using whole grain tortilla for this, or white rice or beans or sunflower seeds. But I don’t care really. This works for me right now. I hate counting calories and obsessing about food. Right now I am focused just on starting to eat right again. At least most of the time. This delicious vegan burrito is part of the process for me.
If you feel something is less than perfect here – make this burrito work for you. You say the whole grain tortilla doesn’t work for you? Well use lettuce or some other big green leaf to wrap the whole thing instead.
You avoid white rice (usually I do too)? Just use something more nutritious like quinoa, millet or bulgur (<- this one contains gluten).
As for beans…well I have no idea what your deal is, but I’m sure you can figure it out.
Whatever you decide – these vegan burritos are good for you either way. I sneaked spinach in there, tomatoes, garlic, tons of spices. This is just loaded with healthy stuff. And it’s so simple.
For the filling I used kidney beans, but feel free to use any kind of beans, that don’t fall apart too easily when you heat them. Also it’s very important to rinse the beans well and drain them.
This way you reduce the sodium content and the content of anti-nutrients that might inhibit nutrient absorption. So don’t skip that step, alright?
Health and Beauty Benefits
Even if you don’t change anything about this recipe, it’s still very healthy and good for you.
It’s a very good source of fiber, protein, iron, magnesium, folate, vitamin A, K and C and also of selenium, if you use the sunflower seeds.
- 400g/ 1.5 cups kidney beans, canned
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 tsp coriander, dry
- 1 carrot, medium
- 1/2 tsp cumin, ground
- 1 tsp chili powder (or less, totally optional)
- 3 broccoli spears, chopped
- 2 medium tomatoes
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1 cup frozen spinach, or 2 cups fresh spinach
- 1 onion, chopped
- salt to taste
- 1 cup cooked rice
- 1 tbsp garlic olive oil
- dash turmeric
- dash black pepper
- dash chili powder
- 1 tbsp sesame seeds
- 1 tbsp lemon juice (fresh)
- 4-6 lettuce leafs or 3-4 whole grain tortillas
- some avocado or
- fresh avocado dill dip or spicy vegan cream cheese
- Rice: Mix rice with garlic olive oil (that's 1 crushed garlic clove in some olive oil, leave for 30 min and remove the garlic), turmeric, cumin, lemon juice, chili, black pepper.
- Filling Rinse and drain beans well, wash and chop all vegetables. Sauté onion with the olive oil in a large pan (one with lid) at medium high. Add cumin and coriander. Add beans and stir. Then add the chopped tomatoes, stir. Add spinach, some salt and cover with lid for 3-4 minutes. Stir again. Add broccoli, carrots, chili powder and garlic. Again cover for a few minutes. Turn off heat.
- Put 2-3 tbsp of the filling in the middle of a whole grain tortilla, add some rice and a scoop of the spicy vegan cream cheese. You can also add some cilantro, parsley or other herbs you love. Feel free to add avocado (I kinda wonder how I didn't do it, probably weren't ripe at that time). Wrap and enjoy!
- If you chose to make the lettuce leaf version, just make sure the filling is not that warm.
Okay, that’s it. Remember, use whatever you want to use in there – you can try kale instead of spinach if that’s your thing, add some cilantro or parsley, or even basil – I love all of these in there.
Let me know if you make this burrito and if you do – make a picture and hashtag it with #beautybites on instagram, so I can find it.
After my long winter sleep I will be returning to social media to get some motivation to get in shape again, exercise and eat healthier. So if you’re there and you made this, let me know!
There’s nothing better than seeing you’ve actually made the recipe and enjoyed it. Makes me really happy.
Now I’ll go be emotional and cry happy tears somewhere else.