Last updated on December 14th, 2018 at 08:56 am
I hope you appreciate this no bake healthy butternut squash pie, because I had a really hard time not eating the entire thing while making pictures. Tough life.
So you might remember, last year I made this butternut squash pie with a crumbly crust. I was in love with that pie, so creamy, so delicious, but such a pain in the ass to bake.
This year, I’ve gotten older and lazier…ahem more productive.. and I decided to eat even healthier.
So now, I’m not even baking the crusts. I just blend some nuts together, add some cinnamon, spread the whole thing in a spring form and call it a crust. (see what I did with my healthier low-carb cheesecake)
Then for the filling I just blend whatever I want and spread it over the crust. Finally I let the whole thing “bake” in the fridge for 5-6 hours. Mostly overnight.
And this is exactly what I did with this vegan and gluten-free (and I think paleo) butternut squash pie.
It turned out amazing. So amazing, that on the days I had it in my fridge I stopped myself several times from buying Oreo ice cream.
Don’t judge me, I eat clean for the rest of the day, but lately I’ve been eating a lot of Oreo ice cream. Even the fact that I feel sick after I eat one doesn’t stop me. Seriously, Oreo what kind of drugs besides sugar do you have in there?
Anyway. Not this guy. This guy is super healthy and did I mention creamy? I feel like I haven’t said creamy enough. I thank that holy coconut cream and coconut oil for that creaminess and I thank cinnamon for the super flavor.
Health and beauty benefits of this healthy butternut squash pie.
This “pie” actually has health benefits. Yeah. A dessert with health benefits (not like you, oreo ice cream, I hope you’re crying somewhere…).
This healthy pie is rich in omega-3’s, fiber, carotenoids, vitamin E and contains a ton more antioxidants that can make you feel good and even give you healthy complexion…You know what happens when you eat too much carotenoids? That’s right you get a nice orange glow…Welcome to the Jersey Shore…
In short: if you’re eating clean and don’t want to eat oreo ice cream – go for this butternut squash pie.
Yes, tomorrow I’m making it again.
Here’s the printable recipe, so you can make it too.
For this recipe I used:
No bake, healthy butternut squash pie, this is an easy and tasty vegan and gluten-free recipe to help you eat clean and enjoy life!
- 2 cups butternut squash, cubed
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- 1/2 cup coconut cream
- 2 tbsp cinnamon
- 10 dates, soaked in water for 20 min
- 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 1/3 cup walnuts
- 1/3 cup almonds
- 2 brazil nuts
- 1 tbsp coconut flakes
- Making the crust: In your food processor or coffee / nut grinder grind 1 tbsp cinnamon, walnuts, almonds, Brazil nuts and coconut flakes until they can stick together. Place in a spring form and using your hands spread the crust by pressing the mixture to cover the surface evenly (make sure it's not too thin).
- Cook butternut squash in water until soft. Remove water.
- Add soaked dates (without the soaking water), coconut oil, coconut cream,1 tbsp cinnamon, ginger, & nutmeg (I did this directly in the pot where I cooked the butternut squash). Using a hand-blender blend all these ingredients until you get a very smooth texture. If not cool yet, wait for the mixture to cool off.
- Then spread the filling over the crust in the spring form, cover and put in the fridge for 5-6 hours. I did it overnight - the filling needs time to develop that creaminess. In the morning - you're ready!
I hope you enjoy this recipe, if you do let me know and subscribe via email to get more free healthy recipes from me!