Yes these are peanut butter pancakes with chocolate chips inside. Made with oats and honey, these make a tasty and healthy breakfast!
So I mentioned a few times already how I don’t like chocolate that much…I know, total weirdo alert here.
And yet, for a few weeks I’ve been waking up craving chocolate. I don’t know what it is…maybe some weird deficiency? Who knows.
I usually try to not start my mornings with a cup of sugar, you know? So I drink a lot of water and by noon this craving always goes away.
However one day, I did my whole morning routine thing wrong, went on social media, read the news, didn’t work out and decided to also make pancakes and watch Youtube videos. Not the best way to start a morning let me tell you, it didn’t end up being a productive day. Still, I did finish something that day because I made these pancakes. And even though they’re not a green smoothie, they’re a healthier version of pancakes. Plus see that melted chocolate?
How These Peanut Butter Pancakes Happened
Now, I’ll be honest, on days like that one – if I had normal flour, butter
Lucky me, I don’t have flour, sugar or butter at home. I just rarely, if ever buy those things. Not because I don’t like them, but because I know, if I had these ingredients at home – these pancakes will be happening all the time. And I don’t want that.
Anyway, I did have my oats, my peanut butter, and 85% chocolate, so I decided to make healthier pancakes with oatmeal. They’re all based on the only pancake recipe I actually know how to make…You might have seen it here or here. This time, no fruit, but chocolate & peanut butter. Delicious! Oh, it was a good day after all.
These peanut butter pancakes with chocolate chips and oats are easy to make and you probably have all the ingredients at home! To make this healthy breakfast you need no flour or sugar, just oats and honey.
- 1 egg
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 1/2 Tbsp peanut butter
- 1 1/2 Tbsp honey
- 1/3 cup oats
- 1/4 cup chocolate, chopped
- 3 walnut halves, chopped
- 2 Tbsp coconut oil
- Grind oats using your food processor.
- In a mixing bowl, whisk together 1 tbsp melted coconut oil, peanut butter, honey and egg.
- Mix in the baking powder and oats. As you go, the mixture will probably thicken (happens with oats), so stir in 1-2 Tbsp water or almond milk to reach a smooth consistency again. Then add in the chopped chocolate and walnuts.
- Cover the surface of a non-stick pan with coconut oil and preheat over medium-high heat. Pour in the mixture, making smaller pancakes (size of your palm). Reduce the heat and cover the pan with a lid for 1 minute. Check on the pancake and see whether bubbles came up and the mixture isn’t liquid on the uncooked side. If that’s the case, flip and cook until golden brown (no lid here). Repeat for one more batch and serve immediately.