Last updated on March 30th, 2023 at 10:38 am
If you’ve got some radishes you want to put to use, make this fresh healthy radish salad recipe with avocado, parsley and olives – it’s the perfect raw vegetable side dish! The tasty recipe is vegan, low-carb, paleo and full of anti-inflammatory foods!
You can serve this simple flavorful salad with radishes alongside plant-based protein like vegan patties, grain-based dishes or with some grilled fish or meat. To make it you only need some basic chopping skills, the ingredients and around 5 minutes.
Radishes Are Super Healthy
Radishes are so underrated. They’re crunchy, slightly spicy, they’re extremely healthy and they grow like mushrooms. Well, they probably grow like radishes, I just didn’t realize it’s that fast!
I’ve been trying to eat more and more of these tasty red vegetables since they’re one of the first plants to come out during spring.
Also, being a cruciferous vegetable – they’re extremely beneficial for your health. They’ve been used in folk medicine to treat liver disease and different diseases of the digestive system for centuries. Radishes are super rich in essential water-soluble vitamins from the B group, as well as vitamin C, and minerals like iron, potassium and zinc. But what makes radish truly special are the bioactive compounds typical for all cruciferous vegetables – the glucosinolates. These are shown to have anti-inflammatory, anti-diabetic and anti-cancer effects. (source)
All this to say – grab a radish or a few of them and make a salad today!
Using Radishes In Salads & More
I actually discovered my love for radishes and all the salad recipes I could make with them, during my time living in Germany. Radishes were among the few vegetables that were always SO cheap and unlike the tomatoes and cucumbers there – they always tasted like the real thing. (if you’ve ever eaten a “sun-grown” tomato in Germany you know what I’m talking about.)
Now I always buy some when I see them in the store. Last year I also grew radishes on my very own and was super surprised at how quickly they came out. They tasted super spicy too. If you’re a beginner gardener like myself and haven’t tried it – grow some radishes!
Now. Whether you grow them in your garden or bought them, you might be wondering how to best put your radishes to use. There are actually SO many ways! You can have them as a super healthy crunchy low-calorie snack, slice them and dip in hummus, or chop them up and serve them alongside your main dish for a healthy side. Or you can make a tasty radish salad like this one. These vegetables pair well with lettuce, scallions, garlic, cucumbers, avocado, chickpeas, eggs – pretty much anything!
Radish Salad Ingredients
Now to make this particular salad with radishes, you’ll need:
- Radishes. They’re the main ingredient in the salad recipe!
- Scallions and garlic. Luckily, green onions aka scallions and radishes always travel together – they’re both spring foods and can be planted in September as well.
- Parsley. Or basil. I had recently made the same salad with fresh basil too and it was actually unbelievable, so if you have fresh basil – try both variations. In fact, try it with dill as well – you’ll find they’re all different, but all good.
- Avocado. No need for oil or a fancy dressing! The creamy avocado will do both of these jobs.
- Olives. I love adding something extra salty to my salads. Sometimes it’s a pickled thing, but mostly it’s olives. They did not disappoint in this one as well.
- Salt, pepper, some lemon. I left out the dressing entirely and just served the whole thing with a wedge of a lemon, put salt and pepper on top and it was great. Add as much lemon as you wish. Lemon zest will be great too if you have organic lemons.
How To Make The Radish Salad
Making this healthy radish salad couldn’t be easier…All it takes is washing, chopping and tossing. Here’s what you need to do:
- Wash the radishes thoroughly, cut off the top and bottom. Also, peel and wash the scallions, and wash the parsley. Peel and mince the garlic.
- Now chop chop! Chop the radishes – I like to slice them, but not too thinly as I want them to stay crunchy. If there’s one thing I’m not here for is soggy vegetables like cucumbers or radishes. In my opinion, these need to be crunchy! So don’t slice too thinly. Chop the avocado, then the scallions, parsley (or basil) and olives as thinly as you can.
- Add everything to a bowl, add some salt and black pepper, drizzle some lemon juice, if you can a little bit of lemon zest and toss everything well!
- Your tasty salad with radishes is ready to get served!
How To Serve The Radish Salad
This wonderful radish salad is a great raw vegetable side dish as it’s light, refreshing and flavorful. It’s perfect for vegan meals like these spinach balls as well as grilled meat or fish. It’s pretty versatile and it’s best to enjoy it right after making it.
Can You Store It
If you want to make it ahead, you can. Without the avocado – yes you can store it. With the avocado, not.
So if you want to make the radish salad ahead, leave out the avocado and the lemon. You can prepare everything else and store refrigerated for about 2 days. Toss with lemon juice and avocado when it’s time to serve!
More Healthy Vegetable Sides
I really hope you got inspired to use those radishes and to make a healthy dish with them – maybe even this wonderful radish salad recipe! If you’re in the mood for more vegetables, here are some healthy vegetable side dish recipes to try:
- 2 cups radishes, slice in bite-sized pieces, don't make them too thin
- 1/4 cup parsley or basil
- 1/2 ripe avocado
- 2 tbsp olives
- 1 scallion
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- Wash the radishes thoroughly, cut off the top and bottom. Also peel and wash the scallions, and wash the parsley. Peel and mince the garlic.
- Chop the radishes – I like to slice them, but not too thinly as I want them to stay crunchy. Chop the avocado, then the scallions, parsley (or basil) and olives as thinly as you can.
- Add everything to a bowl, add some salt and black pepper, drizzle some lemon juice, if you can - add a little bit of lemon zest and toss everything well!
- Your tasty salad with radishes is ready to serve!
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 232Total Fat: 17gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 13gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 232mgCarbohydrates: 21gFiber: 12gSugar: 5gProtein: 5g