Last updated on November 16th, 2020 at 03:35 pm
Last week I decided to buy lots and lots of sea food. I was craving it like never before. This is a little weird since I eat fish and sea food every week. But let’s not get into that – overanalyzing is never helpful. Long story short I went and bought about 4 kg fish and sea food and ate it almost every day of the week.
Don’t know about the guys in Dirty dancing, but I truly had the time of my life.
You already saw the salmon with asparagus recipe and here comes another recipe from the sea for my clean eating challenge: Shrimp & calamari in tomato garlic sauce.
This is the one dish that can distract me from any goal or activity in my life. Seriously it’s that seductive. My sister makes this low carb dish pretty often when I say I will go vegan for a week. I don’t know for sure if she’s trying to sabotage me, but it definitely seems like it. I always end up eating more than her. And I honestly never regret it.
But in my defence, can anybody resist sea food in tomato garlic sauce?
I mean who can resist anything drowned in sweet flavorful and super garlicky tomato sauce? With some basil in it? Come on. Alright I will probably be able to resist a cheesecake or a cookie drown in that, but I’m not even sure I can make that promise.
BEAUTY AND HEALTH BENEFITS
Luckily the biggest and tastiest distraction in my life is also very healthy and helps me renew my beauty. Makes me feel like J.Lo.
These shrimp and calamari in tomato sauce are:
- anti-inflammatory (thank you, Garlic!)
- anti-cancer (thank you, again little stinker!)
- high-protein (thanks to calamari and shrimp)
- antioxidant (thanks to Lycopene from the tomatoes)
You see – you can’t go wrong with this dish. It’s delicious and super healthy! So make sure you make it and really enjoy it. It makes it totally worth it to not achieve a goal of being vegan for a week.
- 250g/8oz shrimp (peeled)
- 1 calamari tube
- 3 tomatoes – cubed
- 2-3 garlic cloves
- 10 leaves basil – chopped
- 2-3 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Chop tomatoes, clean and cut calamari in stripes.
- Wash and chop basil, clean shrimp.
- In a large non-stick skillet place chopped tomatoes and calamari and cover with a lid. Cook at medium high heat for 5 minutes, but be sure to look from time to time whether there is enough sauce in the pan. Depending on how much fluid the tomatoes have, the time can vary.
- After 5 minutes, uncover, add tomato paste, stir it in well, until you see the sauce thicken up.
- Add shrimp and garlic and stir. Let it to cook like this for 2-3 min.
- If the sauce gets too runny – add again more tomato paste. I had used around 2 tbsp.
- Then add basil, stir for 1 min. Turn off heat.
- Add olive oil and serve with whole grain bread.