This simple lettuce salad is the perfect side dish recipe and goes with truly anything. You can have it with meat, fish, calamari, shrimp or even vegan recipes like these patties or this quesadilla and it’s ready in 5 minutes.
Now tell me I’m not a good salesman! Or, rather, a saleswoman. I sold you on this side dish lettuce salad as if it was nada, right? But it’s actually really good, pretty surprising actually, because I usually am not a fan of that nutrient-poor and tasteless lettuce.
I’m just kidding, lettuce is good, and contrary to what you might have heard – it actually has nutrients. Many of them. I remember one “influencer” a million years ago (probably 3-5) said lettuce was full of sugar. You know, sometimes, when I crave a cheesecake – I just go and munch on some lettuce instead and my teeth just start to hurt. This then sends a signal to my brain – my sugar cravings are fully satisfied. Thank you lettuce. Thank you influencer for your eternal wisdom.
Also, now you know how the body works. You’re welcome for the free neuroscience class.
You know, this simple salad recipe is pretty similar to the lettuce salad they make in Greece when it’s spring. It’s called maroulosalata, which to me is very funny because, in Bulgaria which is next to Greece and where I come from, we call lettuce maroulia. And salad – salata. Mix them both – you get the maroulosalata. Come on, IT IS funny. You had to be there to get it.
We actually have a super similar salad, but we add hard-boiled eggs to it. It’s SO good – I highly recommend you try it – just make this salad and add some chopped-up eggs to it, that’s the recipe.
Simple Lettuce Salad Ingredients
Now, this simple lettuce salad, it’s light, it’s fresh and due to its simple taste goes with everything! Here’s what you need to make it:
Lettuce. Any variety of lettuce will work, I would avoid ice berg though. Green leaf, romaine or even butterhead should work though. Am I coming off as a lettuce expert? I sure hope so, I just googled them, pointed at the pictures and said – I know this one, this one and this one. But, whatever you have. It’s a salad after all, it’s not a baking recipe.
Dill. You can use whatever herbs you have at home – I had dill, but mint or parsley would be lovely too. They provide their specific flavors and some extra freshness to the salad.
Scallions. You want to use green onions / scallions to make this recipe.
Radishes. I’m on a radish kick right now, because they’re in season and are super healthy, so I threw some into the salad as well.
Olive oil, salt, pepper, vinegar or lemon juice. We’re keeping it simple and using these ingredients to season our simple side dish lettuce salad!
How To Make The Simple Lettuce Salad
It all goes super easy and quick! All this simple lettuce salad recipe requires is some washing, chopping and tossing skills. Here’s what you do:
- Wash all the ingredients! This might be obvious, but it’s so important and believe it or not some people skip it, because the package says: washed 3 times. Don’t! Especially if your ingredients have been sitting wrapped in plastic for days.
- Now, it’s time to chop. Start with the lettuce and chop it thinly. Then slice the radishes. Lastly, chop super thinly the dill and the scallions.
- Add everything to a large bowl, add salt, pepper, olive oil and lemon juice or apple cider vinegar. Toss to combine and your simple salad with lettuce is ready to serve!
What To Serve With
As mentioned before – this is the perfect side dish salad and it goes with pretty much anything. You can serve it at dinner with:
- baked, seared or grilled meat or fish
- shrimp or calamari
- rice-based dishes like this one
- this vegan quesadilla
- these 5-minute spicy chickpeas
- or these spinach chickpea cakes
More Easy Side Dish Salad Recipes
Well, I truly hope you enjoy this simple lettuce salad recipe! And if you love serving salad at dinner, here are a few more easy side dish salads to try:
Simple Lettuce Salad
This simple lettuce salad is the perfect side dish recipe and goes with truly anything - with meat, fish or vegan recipes!
- 3 cups thinly chopped lettuce
- 2 tbsp dill, thinly chopped (a small bunch)
- 2 scallions, thinly chopped
- 5 radishes, thinly sliced
- 2 tsp apple cider vinegar or lemon juice
- 2 tsp olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- Wash the lettuce, dill, scallions and radishes thoroughly.
- Chop the lettuce, slice the radishes, and thinly chop the dill and scallions.
- Add everything to a bowl and toss. Season with olive oil, salt, pepper and lemon juice or apple cider vinegar to taste.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 60Total Fat: 5gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 161mgCarbohydrates: 4gFiber: 2gSugar: 1gProtein: 1g