You can make your own spicy shrimp and chickpea salad today in no time! You’re going to love this nutritious shrimp salad because it is super fresh and flavorful and such a satisfying and easy lunch idea! This healthy salad recipe is gluten-free, dairy-free nut-free, and makes a great meal prep lunch idea.
Spicy Shrimp and Chickpea Salad Ingredients
Shrimp. Choose peeled and deveined shrimp. In my case, I had some frozen shrimp that I let defrost in some warm water for about 5-10 minutes.
Spices and dried herbs. I went for cumin, coriander, dry dill, and chili powder here, but feel free to prep the shrimp any way you want.
Fresh herbs and vegetables. Cucumbers, garlic, scallions, peppers, tomato, basil, some arugula and parsley. If you don’t have all of these vegetables, or have other vegetables you’d like to use – make this salad your own and use what you have!
Simple healthy dressing. Keep the dressing simple! Some olive oil, some lemon juice, salt and pepper – that’s all you need for a good healthy salad!
Canned chickpeas. Or any type of cooked chickpeas that can be used in salads. We’re going to be toasting the chickpeas before adding them to the salad.
Olives. Use your favorite type of olives! My personal preference is always Kalamata or green olives.
As you can see, this healthy shrimp salad is not one of those recipes with less than 5 ingredients and that’s okay. We need different foods in our diets in order to get a wide variety of essential and nonessential beneficial nutrients to help our bodies work properly.
How To Make Spicy Shrimp and Chickpea Salad
Step 1. Prep your shrimp by mixing it with cumin, coriander, minced garlic, dried dill, chili powder, coriander, a little bit of olive oil and some lemon juice.
Step 2. Saute the shrimp in a nonstick pan at medium-high for 3-4 minutes or until nicely brown on both sides.
Step 3. Once the one side of the shrimp is done, move the shimp to one side of the pan and add the rinsed and drained chickpeas to toast for a few minutes. Stir, but don’t mix the shrimp with the chickpeas.
Step 4. Prep the salad. All you need is to chop the cucumbers, scallions, peppers, tomato, basil, arugula and parsley. Add them to a bowl, add the chickpeas and the shrimp and then pour over the dressing. You will definitely need to add some salt and probably pepper (I didn’t do it) to the salad.
Meal Prep Option.
This salad can easily be your meal prep salad, you will just need to leave out the tomato or use whole cherry tomatoes and add the dressing when it’s time to eat.
You will definitely need to make more of this to have for the next three days. Once you’ve made it, keep in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days.
More Healthy Salad Recipes:
- Delicious Mediterranean Salmon Salad
- Fresh & Healthy Tomato Basil Chickpea Salad
- The Best Avocado Quinoa Salad Recipe
For the shrimp
- 1 1/2 cup shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp olive oil
- ½ tsp cumin
- ½ tsp coriander
- ½ tsp dill, dry
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 cup chickpeas, cooked
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
For the salad:
- 2 cucumbers, chopped
- 1 tomato, thinly chopped
- 1 small pepper or ½ big one
- 1 scallion, chopped
- ⅓ cup chopped herbs like basil, arugula and parsley
- 1 tbsp olives, pitted
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Mix the shrimp with the olive oil, lemon juice, garlic, cumin, coriander and chili powder. Let marinade for about 10-15 minutes.
- Put the shrimp in a nonstick pan and saute for 3-4 minutes on each side at medium high until shrimp is nicely brown on both sides. Once shrimp is done on one side and you've flipped it, move it to the side to make space for the chickpeas. Toast them and they will absorb some of the spices from the shrimp.
- Chop the cucumbers, tomato, peppers, olives, basil, arugula and parsley, scallions.
- Add the chopped vegetables to a bowl, add the shrimp and chickpeas on top and then the olive oil, lemon juice and salt and pepper to taste.
- Give the salad a good mix and enjoy!
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 383Total Fat: 10gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 7gCholesterol: 229mgSodium: 1278mgCarbohydrates: 41gFiber: 11gSugar: 10gProtein: 36g