Last updated on January 16th, 2019 at 10:26 pm
If you have chocolate cravings, but are trying to eat healthier – this this easy and healthy chocolate dessert will help. It’s a chocolate mousse that is vegan, gluten-free and super tasty.
I made it a few months ago, last year, when I had 3 butternut squashes and did not know what to do with them.
“Butternut squash…aaaaaaaaaaaa soup. What else? _____ ?” <- the longest pause in the history of the world.
I had no idea what you can make with butternut squash. It’s not something I cook with very often.
But then I got very creative. I made this vegan creamy butternut squash crumble pie, a few savory dishes and the healthiest creamiest chocolate mousse on the planet. It’s this one.
You’d think if you mix butternut puree and raw cacao something very disturbing would come out…But let that sit in the fridge for about an hour with a few more ingredients and it gets super thick and creamy.
This recipe makes 2 small dessert glasses, but it’s totally enough to satisfy your craving for something sweet. And it’s almost paleo if dried fruit is considered paleo. I read somewhere it’s not.
Believe it or not this chocolate mousse is actually good for you, even though it’s a dessert and totally forbidden for me from next week on. I will be doing a 30 Day Absolutely No Sugar Challenge starting on Monday and I’m very excited to clean up my plate. I can already feel how I’ll be super light, happy, energized, will be able to fly and will smell like a flower. Hopefully not like Amorphophallus Titanum (according to Wiki this one smells like something between rotting fish, stinky socks and old cheese). Mmmmm. Love is in the air.
So from next week, no more desserts here using natural sweeteners or dried fruit – just normal fruit. But this week…
Health and Beauty Benefits
This little glass of mousse is high-fiber, filled with antioxidants from the butternut squash, dates and raw cacao (which is one of the best antioxidants of all) and with good fats from coconut oil and coconut flakes. Antioxidants are super important to slow down aging and the carotenoids from the butternut squash give your skin a fresh healthy color.
Now to the recipe, which by the way is super easy.
Chocolate mousse – easy and healthy chocolate dessert that you need to try. It’s vegan, gluten-free and delicious!
- 1/2 cup butternut squash puree
- 2 Tbsp raw cacao powder
- 1/3 cup dates, soaked in water for 30 min
- 2 Tbsp coconut oil
- 6 Tbsp coconut flakes
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- Remove water from the soaked dates. If you don’t have butternut squash puree, cook and puree butternut squash (I needed about a cup chopped butternut to make 1/2 cup puree).
- With your hand blender puree cooked butternut squash, dates and coconut oil until everything is smooth and creamy.
- Grind the coconut flakes into flour, or use ready coconut flour if you have (might need a little less if you use ready coconut flour).
- Mix in the coconut flakes, vanilla and cacao powder. With a spoon transfer the mixture into small glasses/jars for desserts. My mixture made 2 small dessert glasses, but this could be different.
- Top with some coconut flakes and chopped nuts (I used walnuts). Cover and leave in the fridge for about 1-2 hours and then enjoy!
Hope you enjoy this healthy dessert recipe!